Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bull

Newbie - Questions about winterization

First, thanks a lot! This site is great!

Bought a used '04 GTX 4-tec supercharged back in the spring. Don't really know much history on it other than it had less than 50 hours when I bought it.

Been lurking around here for a couple of months and finally have some questions I couldn't find answers to.

I've read the basics on winterization:
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...be+fogging+oil
    and
    http://www.sea-doo.net/pdf/2004-Stor...cedure4TEC.pdf

1) I changed the oil - you guys had a great thread on that.
    2) Now I'm changing antifreeze in closed loop cooling system

The shop manual says to flush by running for 15-minutes mostly at WOT. I'm in northern Ohio and it's Nov 28. Sorry, not happenin'! Any suggestions. I was thinking I'll just run the flush through for 5-min on the hose, let it sit overnight and finish the flush and fill tomorrow.

I've got enough Prestone Dex-cool that I can use. Green stuff came out. Anybody know of any issues with using the Dex-cool on the refill?

Do I need to flush correctly and re-fill in the spring?

Thanks a ton,
    Bull

I would not recommend using Dexcool. Just use regular 50/50 mix. I used Prestone in the yellow container. I am sure someone else will have an opinion, but I did not run any of that stuff through it the manual talks about. Mine looked very clean coming out, so I just drained it all and filled it back up. Tip the ski as far back as possible to get it all to drain to the back. Leave the plug in the ride plate out, start pouring in antifreeze, when you see a solid stream (no air bubbles) put the plug back in. Make sure you check it during your first ride in case any air escaped and lowered the level.

I also would recommend that you do NOT use Dex Cool. Never heard a good thing about that stuff.

Also, running the ski wide open for 15min seems a bit insane to me. More so if the ski is out of the water will no cooling for the ride plate. Just drain it then refill it like antoniodef said.

Bull
    Thanks guys. I guess I'll go get some plain Prestone.

Next question is on lubing the throttle body.

If you look at that bulletin on storing this thing from Seadoo, it says to remove the air intake hose from the throttle body and open by pressing slightly on the throttle and spray lube in. How do you get the clamp off? I found one post that basically said you had to destroy the clamp to get it off. Is all this really necessary or is there a trick?

I attached a pic of the throttle body and how someone shows how to remove that clamp.

I'm just using Pennzoil Fogging oil not the Bombardier stuff based on other posts I've read. That's OK right?

Bull
    Last edited by mrbulldurham; 11-29-2009 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Forgot attachment

Bull
    Forgot the attachment on last post
    Attached Files Attached Files

Any fogging oil will be fine. I use CRC Fogging Oil. The BRP stuff is too expensive for an item I use when the engine is not running. As far as lubing the throttle body lube, mine has a little hose running to the top of the engine with a yellow cap that you spray the lube into. Maybe the older ones did not

Bull
    Mine looks exactly like the 1st pic in the attachment. No yellow cap. Unless I get another idea, I guess I'll break the clamp.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by antoniodef View Post
    Any fogging oil will be fine. I use CRC Fogging Oil. The BRP stuff is too expensive for an item I use when the engine is not running. As far as lubing the throttle body lube, mine has a little hose running to the top of the engine with a yellow cap that you spray the lube into. Maybe the older ones did not

correct, the older skis didn't have that fitting.

if you want to lube the throttle body, pop off that clamp, but becareful not to puncture that hose, it's expensive. then replace both of those clamps with a gear-type clamp, so you can take it off and on without going through clamps.

while you're at it, have you checked the supercharger washers? does it have the upgraded metal ones? if not, i would send it out to jerry over the winter and have him take care of it. also, depending on hours, maybe it's time for a rebuild?

+1
    also, in the spring, i'd change out those spark plugs AFTER the first ride, the fogging oil tends to foul out plugs. just something to think about.

and did you pull the fuel rail and spray some fogging oil in the cylinders?

Bull
    I'll replace the clamp and be careful removing the old one.

I was planning to do the rest of the stuff you recommended, . . . except the washers, . . . and now it sounds like I'll be doing that over the winter. I read the post about the ceramic ones breaking apart and basically destroyin the motor and was considering doing it. I seriously doubt it's been done. Ski only has 85 hours and I think 35 or 40 of them were put on after I bought it this year.

I'm pretty decent mechanically, but who's Jerry?

Bull

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information