Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Help - 1200 GPR Drive Shaft Stuck

This hasn't been my week for jetskis. My buddy went to replace his impeller liner on his 2000 GPR. Pump came apart no problem, switched liners, then he put it back together. Thought he had the splines lined up, but the drive shaft was still out maybe 1/2" - 1" from being fully seated. He put the pump bolts back in to see if he could screw that last 1/2" together, and no go (the fiberglass wall that the intermediate coupler screws to, just flexed that extra 1/2") the driveshaft wouldn't seat fully.

I tried to help him out Friday afternoon, to see if we could get the pump back apart, but the drive shaft won't budge. We tried prying the pump apart, but the intermediate coupler fiberglass wall just flexes (and I mean WE PRIED, that's a pretty flexible wall and it didn't crack). We tried heating up the intermediate coupler where the shaft slides in and pried some more, still no deal. Tried tapping the coupler with a hammer and the heat and then some more prying, still no dice. Tried pipe wrenches on both the coupler shaft and drive shaft trying to get something to give, but they just slip right off.

I can't figure out how this thing would get stuck. It seems that if the splines weren't lined up, it wouldn't go back together, no matter how much you tried to force it. I'm dreading cutting the driveshaft, pulling the intermediate coupler and having to replace all that. Anybody have any suggestions before we go that route?

+1
    wow, you have covered just about everything I could think of. Only other thing I can think of is to dry ice it down and rap it with a hammer. Sorry man.

+1
    you might try,pulling rear of pump get some bolts and tie into ears of pump just 2 180 apart with chain using big hammer raped around chain -start snatching ,impaced may get it out

we just had to do same last week/it worked

later cd

+1
    maybe try a slide hammer

+1
    Don't laugh but I have heard of people tying it up to a tree and yanking it out.

+1
    I like the slide hammer the best. You are probably going to honk up the stator sectionYou need to shock it off. Tell your friend to never force something together if it doesn't go freely. Its bound. It would be nearly impossible to turn the screws evenly enough to push it in straight.

just went throught this.. Get 2 decent size chains and a lock.. take the bolts out that hold the wearing.. Then use 2 of the 4 pump bolts, 1 in each corner. Screw them into the wearing through the chain. Then connect the 2 chains together with the lock and get a big sledge hammer and bang that thing out.. First heat up the intermadaite shaft in the hull.. Should pop out..

The tree idea crossed my mind, with a couple of eye bolts in the pump to hook up too.

So nobody has broken the bulkhead in the hull by pulling against it? That was one of my concerns. Maybe I can find some way to brace it. The chains sound like they could do the trick. We'll give that a shot and let you know how it turn out.

Thanks for the ideas.

+1
    I'd just cut the driveshaft and then move the engine forward, if you damage the transom that would be tough to fix properly

I hear ya there Philip. That's what I told the owner after the first hour of messing with it. New/used drive shaft, new/used intermediate coupler and be done with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information