Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Trim Tabs with modded Plate?

    Where is David? yes I did a minute search and butkiss came up...

    anyways:
    Is it contradictory to have extended tabs with a modded plate? will the extended tabs be working against a modded plate.

    This is not for SPEED, but better rough water handling.

    scenario: with a MOD 1 plate set to .750 will the use of extended tabs counter the effectiveness of the plate?

    another words will I have better rough water handling with extended tabs or will it be counter productive?


  2. #2
    THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,194
    +1
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    Where is David? yes I did a minute search and butkiss came up...

    anyways:
    Is it contradictory to have extended tabs with a modded plate? will the extended tabs be working against a modded plate.

    This is not for SPEED, but better rough water handling.

    scenario: with a MOD 1 plate set to .750 will the use of extended tabs counter the effectiveness of the plate?

    another words will I have better rough water handling with extended tabs or will it be counter productive?
    Hello Andy hope this helps, When the tabs are set lower than the plate the ski tends to ride on the tabs or if they are extended and are lower than the plate it will ride more on the tabs then the plate and give you better rough water set up. For all out speeds i set my tabs higher than the plate so the ski tends to ride on the plate to get more lift out of it and more speed.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    Hello Andy hope this helps, When the tabs are set lower than the plate the ski tends to ride on the tabs or if they are extended and are lower than the plate it will ride more on the tabs then the plate and give you better rough water set up. For all out speeds i set my tabs higher than the plate so the ski tends to ride on the plate to get more lift out of it and more speed.
    Thank you Jim!

    here`s the dilly: plate was originally set to .850, which was a good compromise, and stock metal tabs set to .060. Ski had the normal bounce at 40-50 mph, which most said was normal, ok, going above or below that speed and cruising the ski is rock solid. When I`m running the Worx grate I didn`t necc see any speed loss and it did hook up better from glass like to mild chop. Ski seemed to run and handle the best in ripple to mild chop, prolly due to the hull unwetted surface.
    Now remember I have glass like conditions pretty much when I want depending on what time of day and weather here on the rivers.
    but::: the bays are rough and another river I`d like to ride is mostly like the bays. So I dropped the plate to .750 which is with .104 shim in the back. The plate was custom ground to be used with very little shim and had .850 with .032 shim on the rear 2 bolts... I could have removed the shim without pump interference and achieved more plate angle, but chose .850...
    to my regret I did not do much testing with different heights bc I was satisfied with the few 72+ mph straight line runs on the waters I ride most seldom. I knew the ski had more mph in it with the mods ran at that time, but at the cost of even less rough water handling.

    Speed loss is not a concern, but being able to run rougher waters and somewhat be comfortable with what I have is...

    so basically if I keep the tabs higher, the ski is running on the plate surface and speed scrub is minimal, thus with the tabs extended or not are below the plate sides surface, then the ski is running on the tab surface which means better stability in rough, most likely better control, but at speed loss due to the scrubbing and more hull in the water from less bow angle, correct?

    Thanks Jim!...

  4. #4
    THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,194
    +1
    536
    Correct Andy, For better handling you want the tabs down i have shimmed them as far as .200 thousands and the handling is awesome and also helps with the chime walking but does take some speed away.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    Correct Andy, For better handling you want the tabs down i have shimmed them as far as .200 thousands and the handling is awesome and also helps with the chime walking but does take some speed away.
    yes, I notice at much slower speeds or when planning off slower the ski likes to sway back and forth until it gets moving...

    pic: depending on the viewing angle it`s hard to show you the step between the 2. There is about 1/8th+ diff between ride plate and trim tab height at the end of the current tabs...
    would the extended tabs help with rough water?
    Thanks for your insight Jim!
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 01-19-2010 at 05:23 PM.

  6. #6
    THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,194
    +1
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    yes, I notice at much slower speeds or when planning off slower the ski likes to sway back and forth until it gets moving...

    pic: depending on the viewing angle it`s hard to show you the step between the 2. There is about 1/8th diff between ride plate and trim tab height at the end of the current tabs...
    would the extended tabs help with rough water?
    Thanks for your insight Jim!
    The extended tabs will help with the rough water and keep the bow down, But on an average will scrub about 1 mph. on top.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    The extended tabs will help with the rough water and keep the bow down, But on an average will scrub about 1 mph. on top.
    ... at least this is a consideration when testing the set-up for next season.
    I have heard of the rough water guys using the 3* nozzle, I don`t think I`m in that much rough water to make that much of a change, so baby steps first! Thanks again Jim!

  8. #8
    THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,194
    +1
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    ... at least this is a consideration when testing the set-up for next season.
    I have heard of the rough water guys using the 3* nozzle, I don`t think I`m in that much rough water to make that much of a change, so baby steps first! Thanks again Jim!
    Anytime Andy, Good luck with all your testing just make sure you keep notes of every little or big change you do so you can look back and see what works best for you and your setup.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    Anytime Andy, Good luck with all your testing just make sure you keep notes of every little or big change you do so you can look back and see what works best for you and your setup.
    will do, I have a mega file of pics, they also tell a thousand words...!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FS - Parts R&D dominator Grate. shoe, B-plate,ride plate and trim tabs with UMI lever $750
    By thrasher187 in forum Yamaha Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-12-2013, 12:25 AM
  2. Questions about trim tabs with hand lever
    By thesepaperwings in forum Kawasaki Open Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-24-2009, 10:52 AM
  3. Fs:stock gpr metal trim tabs and ride plate
    By gpr727 in forum Yamaha Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-24-2008, 10:01 AM
  4. For Sale-GPR OEM trim tabs and ride plate
    By evilchimichanga in forum Yamaha Classifieds
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-18-2008, 02:04 PM
  5. trim tabs with no owner.
    By JIM'S PERFORMANCE in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-19-2006, 03:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •