Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Les Cooke or Riva

What would you do.

I want to add an ECU havent decided which is best but I wont be going any higher than 8650 limiter and prob 8500-50 prop speed.

My engine currently has 115 hours and is running sweet but I wont be upping the RPM without new valve springs.

Here are my 2 options,

1: Get a full set of new springs, Les Cooke retainers and a set of new rocker bolts for $520.00

2:Get the Riva valvetrain kit for $540.00 with hulk discount.

Which is better considering what RPM im shoting for and my ski is REC but gets bashed round CC courses from time to time. The $20 difference is not really a consideration so just want opinions on what is the better setup.

Im thinking that the Les setup costs less power than the Riva but that is prob very marginal.

Thanks for your thoughts.

+1
    Rory,

Either way you go you cannot loose..They are both Great proven setups..

+1

Go Riva

We install the Riva Valve train kit from Jerry for all increased RPM applications and have had 100% reliability. With that kit and a block gaurd you are covered for the two main evils of the 1503 engine.

Quote Originally Posted by R88ory RXP View Post
    What would you do.

I want to add an ECU havent decided which is best but I wont be going any higher than 8650 limiter and prob 8500-50 prop speed.

My engine currently has 115 hours and is running sweet but I wont be upping the RPM without new valve springs.

Here are my 2 options,

1: Get a full set of new springs, Les Cooke retainers and a set of new rocker bolts for $520.00

2:Get the Riva valvetrain kit for $540.00 with hulk discount.

Which is better considering what RPM im shoting for and my ski is REC but gets bashed round CC courses from time to time. The $20 difference is not really a consideration so just want opinions on what is the better setup.

Im thinking that the Les setup costs less power than the Riva but that is prob very marginal.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Not sure if you saw that Jerry has the Les Cooke retainers for 240.00 right now.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post
    Not sure if you saw that Jerry has the Les Cooke retainers for 240.00 right now.
    Yeh I had factored that into my pricing thanks. I do like with the Riva kit as I know of a few people that are running it much higher than 8650 and I have read a few reports from pros that say the springs are well made and are good for valve accel ect ect.

Im thinking the Riva ECU is prob the best as well, although it is more than a Re-Map but I think that it will give a better base for further mods than a Re-Map that has been tailored to the current mods I have.

Is the concensus that the Riva is prob the safest as far as reliability is concerned???

Thanks for your opinions so far. R88

Since you already stated you are buying new springs as well I would go with the Riva complete valvetrain kit. If you were staying close to stock class (doesn't look like you are based on your info) racing or re-using your OEM springs I would go with the Les Cooke retainer set.
    As far as the ECU goes since you do more rec riding and want the limit below 8650 rpm I would go Riva and the injectors to match. Looks like you already have rrfpr to dial it in for more boost than the Riva ECU is set up for. If you were leaning toward more racing or more rpm I would go with the Les Cooke ECU and have him program a map to meet your needs.
    Just my .02
    Duane

BLACK MAGIC HEADERS hydrojunkie's Avatar
    +1
    Les Cooke retainers apply correct amount of seat pressure to assure little fatigue on valve guides. engine will rev faster with les's over Riva's i noticed.
    i have seen valve guides worn bad from Riva's
    my two cents

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrojunkie View Post
    Les Cooke retainers apply correct amount of seat pressure to assure little fatigue on valve guides. engine will rev faster with les's over Riva's i noticed.
    my two cents
    I am getting ready for an upgrade. How many hours do you have on the Les retainers vs the Riva ones? What springs and valves are you using??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrojunkie View Post
    my two cents
    Thanks Hydro, That was the sort of info i was looking for. Although my riding is REC it is most of time racing mates round bouys and stuff like that. I ride in the sea so I dont worry about every 10th of top speed that im not going to see due to conditions. Its all about how fast you get there. R88

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    Since you already stated you are buying new springs as well I would go with the Riva complete valvetrain kit. If you were staying close to stock class (doesn't look like you are based on your info) racing or re-using your OEM springs I would go with the Les Cooke retainer set.
    As far as the ECU goes since you do more rec riding and want the limit below 8650 rpm I would go Riva and the injectors to match. Looks like you already have rrfpr to dial it in for more boost than the Riva ECU is set up for. If you were leaning toward more racing or more rpm I would go with the Les Cooke ECU and have him program a map to meet your needs.
    Just my .02
    Duane
    Im pretty sure I will be going with the Riva ECU, But I had heard that the Riva Kit does cost more power than Les's and I like throttle respons so if the retainers stand out more here then thats what I will be going with.

Oh and no Im wel past stock rules for racing in the UK. Our race regs dont allow any engine mods or ECU in stock class. You can fit retainers and swap your ECU to run in LTD basicaly they have allowed retainers in Stock class so that people can be more competative in LTD on the same boat with diff ECU.

Alot of the racers over here run in both stock and LTD with same boat but diff ECU for each class. R88

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information