2001 XP engine questions

I am a complete Noob to the world of jetskis besides a few rental rides that got me hooked. I found a 2001 xp with a blown engine. as far as the hull and other components they are in tip top shape. my question for you is how hard will it be to get this ski on the water? Im in love with the sport with very limited funds. I guess my second question is, would it be better for me to hold out and find a little it older ski that is in working order, or is this engine swap doable, and worth it for a true beginners first ski?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by i3urtonfeind View Post
    I am a complete Noob to the world of jetskis besides a few rental rides that got me hooked. I found a 2001 xp with a blown engine. as far as the hull and other components they are in tip top shape. my question for you is how hard will it be to get this ski on the water? Im in love with the sport with very limited funds. I guess my second question is, would it be better for me to hold out and find a little it older ski that is in working order, or is this engine swap doable, and worth it for a true beginners first ski?
    It depends on what you pay for the ski. Personally I would say around $500-$700 for the ski if it was in good condition and cosmetically sound. Then I would figure around $1800 for motor work and carb rebuilding, new fuel lines, and such and you would be in around $2,500 for a ski worth $3500 or so.

They were one of the most popular skis in the world, fun to ride, nice power and pretty reliable if taken care of. You wouldn't be making a bad choice at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 FAST VE View Post
    It depends on what you pay for the ski. Personally I would say around $500-$700 for the ski if it was in good condition and cosmetically sound. Then I would figure around $1800 for motor work and carb rebuilding, new fuel lines, and such and you would be in around $2,500 for a ski worth $3500 or so.

They were one of the most popular skis in the world, fun to ride, nice power and pretty reliable if taken care of. You wouldn't be making a bad choice at all.
    hes asking 1500 OBO. the ski looks to be in perfect condition cosmetically, but I ahvent seen it in person yet.

+1
    hes asking 1500 OBO. the ski looks to be in perfect condition cosmetically, but I havent seen it in person yet.

Personally I would not pay that but its your money.
    But with a blown motor and a ski of that age I would figure at a minimum it would need a new engine, fuel lines, carbs rebuilt, wear ring and maybe prop repair or replacement and foot well mats as they all need those.

If you did everything your self and were particular in how you spent your money you could do everything needed for $2250 using all new parts plus the $1500.

You are at $3750 but you have a ski with a brand new engine, and carbs that looks good and will be dependable. If you can not do the work and have to pay to get it done I think that the $2250 will be more like $3250 and that is gonna blow it out of being realistic.

See how low he will go and look around at the cost of parts and go from there. The last one is an 01 with 76 hours and looks good if it were a freshwater ski that would be along the lines of what I looked for to start with.
    A few of the auctions claim they don't have hour meters. That is not entirely true you just have to have a dealer check them for you. All of the years of two strokes will need fuel lines which is a DIY and you can learn most of what you need from here on the two stroke section.
    Check these out for comparison:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...item1e595971f8

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SEADO...item3a55430d8a

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SEADO...item3a554348a9

+1
    Oh and if the price is out of line you can look into an old X4 style hull with a 785 and save even more money.

They are really good skis just smaller but can be had unmolested and running for around $2k in the winter time.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    i agree with David. I bought a 2000 XP with a blown motor and no carbs for $250 trailer included, which I already sold. So pretty much I got it for free.

TYSDTG is parting out a few skis,
    thats who i got my parts from.
    He's one good fella!

look on the classifieds for ski part outs,
    deal with them, find a block and take it to a machine shop
    to get the piston fitted and get a bore job and max you'l spend
    would be around 900 total.

my total spending to get the engine running was around
    600 for carbs & block. +new top end 300+ 100machining =$900

I got some core parts if you need some,
    i got a flywheel,magneto. core crank, core counterbalance shaft.
    I'l let you have the cores just pay the shipping.

THANK YOU EVERYBODY!!!! beyond helpful on the links, and great advice in general. dont want to toot my own horn, but now that I know "everything" lol. Im going to get this ski for way less than 1500, and Im talking to a few people from a local forum who are going to help me with working on the beast.

+1
    THANK YOU EVERYBODY!!!! beyond helpful on the links, and great advice in general. dont want to toot my own horn, but now that I know "everything" lol. Im going to get this ski for way less than 1500, and Im talking to a few people from a local forum who are going to help me with working on the beast.
    It pays to be educated

Good Luck!

Thread Information