Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Can it be done?

  1. #1
    Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,760
    +1
    38

    Can it be done?

    I've been thinking about putting some aftermarket carbs on my 1050 build but IF you can find manifolds they are expensive. That got me to thinking...Is the bolt pattern the only thing different? Do redtops,blackjacks,etc all have the same bolt pattern? And can you make an adapter plate? Maybe something out of aluminum. Bolt the adapter to the manifold and the carbs to the adapter. I've seen it in the automotive world and Zig told me there was some type of adapter to run mikuni carbs on kawasaki skis. So can it be done?


  2. #2
    She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cleveland OH
    Posts
    17,328
    +1
    29
    Anything can be done!!!!

    However, I think you need to turn the carbs sideways in order to bolt them to the adapter. And then bolt the adapter to the intake manifold.

    So you'll need to modify your throttle linkage to accomodate.

  3. #3
    Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,760
    +1
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    think you need to turn the carbs sideways in order to bolt them to the adapter. And then bolt the adapter to the intake manifold.
    Is this because the bolt patterns are so simular that the adapter and carb mounting points would interfere with each other?

    Is the carb spacing the same between stock and aftermarket? What about welding the existing mounting holes on a stock manifold and then drilling and tapping for aftermarket?

  4. #4
    She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cleveland OH
    Posts
    17,328
    +1
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Is this because the bolt patterns are so simular that the adapter and carb mounting points would interfere with each other?
    I would believe this to be the case. ^^^^^^

    I don't know for sure since I don't have a domestic, but the Mikuni 44's mounting studs are 3" apart.

    Maybe you can check one of your intakes.

    Carbs are spaced 1" apart.

    Welding and tapping would work.

    You may need to "true" the gasket area since welding heat may warp the aluminum.

  5. #5
    SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cedar Rapids,Iowa
    Posts
    6,381
    +1
    23
    Tony,to use Mukuni style carbs on the Hot Seat manifolds you have to use a adaptor plate,They are hard to find,I do have a set on mine. And could pass the pattern on,or know someone that can make them, I'm not sure how the kenith's mount. Might be able to make a set that could use stock minifolds.

  6. #6
    casey67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lemont,IL
    Posts
    2,571
    +1
    34
    When looking from the top of the carbs,the Mikuni bolts are straight across ( in other words from 9 o'clock to 3o'clock) the Hotseat domestic intakes I have seen alow you to mount Mikuni carbs at that possition or 120 degees( sideways)(from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock)

    The Keihin carbs bolt battern (as you probably know,are at an angle,like 70-80 degrees-or from 8 o'clock to 2 o'clock) Sorry for the stupid reference points.

    The Fugi carb spacing is shorter than the Domestic\

    The factory domestic intake is 40mm and will probably need to be bored in order take advantage of the larger carbs.

    Other than all that,I think a 1/4 inch adapter plate would work. (on the SL's you only have about 1 inch clearance with the body with the Tausetis F/a)

  7. #7
    Connecticut CrazyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    CT.
    Posts
    8,134
    +1
    1,050
    Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    Tony,to use Mukuni style carbs on the Hot Seat manifolds you have to use a adaptor plate,
    Dan,
    You don't have to use the adaptors unless you want to run them "shaft to shaft". Unlike the Polaris factory manifolds, the Hot Seat ones are set up to run Paralel (sp) only with no option of shaft to shaft. The Mikunis will bolt right on the Hot Seats, just not shaft to shaft.

    Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    When looking from the top of the carbs,the Mikuni bolts are straight across ( in other words from 9 o'clock to 3o'clock) the Hotseat domestic intakes I have seen alow you to mount Mikuni carbs at that possition or 120 degees( sideways)(from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock)

    The Keihin carbs bolt battern (as you probably know,are at an angle,like 70-80 degrees-or from 8 o'clock to 2 o'clock) Sorry for the stupid reference points.

    The Fugi carb spacing is shorter than the Domestic\

    The factory domestic intake is 40mm and will probably need to be bored in order take advantage of the larger carbs.

    Other than all that,I think a 1/4 inch adapter plate would work. (on the SL's you only have about 1 inch clearance with the body with the Tausetis F/a)
    Spot on. I think it can be done for sure. Polaris domestic spacing, as far as carb. center to center, is 138mm.

    It's weird that Tony brought this up as I've been thinking about this for the last couple of days.

    Trippy man.....

    Pics of the Polaris manifolds and Hot Seat manifolds with rotate adaptors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fusion2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	131.4 KB 
ID:	161637   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Intakes 001.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	219.5 KB 
ID:	161638   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Intakes 004.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	179.0 KB 
ID:	161639  

  8. #8
    SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cedar Rapids,Iowa
    Posts
    6,381
    +1
    23
    Thanks for Correcting me Artie.I tend to just remember what I did, not what I could have done. Since I already had the shaft to shaft carb set-up,that's what I was after.

    And you came thru with the adaptors,I still owe you.

  9. #9
    I thought the carb. spacing on a domestic was 138mm center to center?

  10. #10
    Connecticut CrazyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    CT.
    Posts
    8,134
    +1
    1,050
    Quote Originally Posted by laskt View Post
    I thought the carb. spacing on a domestic was 138mm center to center?
    It is. I made a typo. Fixed it now. Too early, not enough coffee!!!

    Thanks for the catch!!!



Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 1300r with triples and novis can it be done
    By kevski007 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-02-2013, 09:40 AM
  2. Saving $$$ on Spares & Repairs??? Can it be done
    By Omz in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-08-2011, 10:23 PM
  3. 15F Engine In an ULTRA 250? Can it be done.
    By Red08Ultra250 in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-30-2011, 09:36 AM
  4. Running my Rxp without the supercharger can it be done??
    By aussie rxp in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-15-2010, 12:47 AM
  5. need info can it be done
    By Quick06wake in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-01-2007, 01:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •