Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I'm one of you now.

Noobie here. I was bit hard by the PWC bug 3 weeks ago and had to have one (after riding a friends). It has been a long, tedious 3 weeks of shopping for a Jet SKi that was actually in decent shape (Some people had even listed their Sea Doos as Yamahas, I've looked at jet skis that were listed as the wrong models, I've seen hulls full of oil only to be told "They are all like that").

So, finally today, I happened across a 2000 Kawasaki 900 STX. It runs great, looks awesome but is a bit hesitant on start up (when it's cold). The spark plugs are new and the battery is fresh.....I'm thinking that my best bet is to visit my local Kawasaki dealer (or another suggested PWC wrench) in the Tampa, FL area.

Any suggestions?

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    if you are mechanically inclined take the choke setup off the ski and run fuel primers, these skis are a pain in the a$$ to get to start right... also make sure to keep the plugs fresh and run an additive in the gas, seafoam or some type of gas treatment, the older skis like to get crap built up in the tanks and carbs...

other than that these skis are a blast, thats what I leared to ride on before jumping up to the 4 stokes that were based on that hull

enjoy man

Sean

Could you explain a primer kit?
    Also, where is the best place to get Sea Foam?

+1
    The primer squirts fuel directly into the carburetor/intake manifold, giving instant starting.

Kits are readily available from the aftermarket suppliers, Ebay, etc.

A couple of things to keep in mind:
    1. There have been cases of plastic T fittings cracking, allowing fuel to leak into the hull. You should use brass fittings.
    2. If your 'Ski has the CV carbs (I don't know about your model year, I think the 2000s DO have them), you should NOT remove the existing chokes. Doing so messes up the fuel metering. You'll have to find another way to mount the injector port.

+1
    I had a 96 STX1100 that had the same problem. If it sits for more than a couple of days it is hard starting. I have used Instastart with lubrication. You fog some into the carb air inlet and it will start right up. Be careful as Instastart has ether and it can damage fiberglass. I have never had a problem with small amounts hitting inside the hull. They use this stuff on diesels in cold weather. The ski will start consistently when it is in use. The only problem is on initial start up after a layup or after the tank has been run dry. My son has the ski now and it has over 130 hours with only a change in plugs. It also runs just as fast as it did when new.

+1
    I forgot, One very important thing, when you are finished riding the ski turn the fuel pickup into the off position while running and then allow the ski to die, this emptys the fuel out of the carbs and keeps them from getting gummed up. this helped alot with my old 1100

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by greevesqub View Post
    I had a 96 STX1100 that had the same problem. If it sits for more than a couple of days it is hard starting. I have used Instastart with lubrication. You fog some into the carb air inlet and it will start right up. Be careful as Instastart has ether and it can damage fiberglass. I have never had a problem with small amounts hitting inside the hull. They use this stuff on diesels in cold weather. The ski will start consistently when it is in use. The only problem is on initial start up after a layup or after the tank has been run dry. My son has the ski now and it has over 130 hours with only a change in plugs. It also runs just as fast as it did when new.
    Great advice from you guys...awesome idea about running it with the gas off to clear the carbs too....
    The carbs are CV so I guess the primer kit idea is out, but with the instastart, maybe this won't be an issue anyhow.
    I hooked a battery tender up to the battery using the eyes over the posts, now all I have to do is plug in the tender when I bring it back into the garage.....Great info...so glad I found this site.

+1
    after you run the carbs dry it does take a little while for the ski to fire again but just run it until it does.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanedge View Post
    The carbs are CV so I guess the primer kit idea is out, but with the instastart, maybe this won't be an issue anyhow.
    Using primer kit on your ski's tripple 38-mm CDCV carb is perfectly fine. Same CV carb is used on 98+ 1100ZXi and 1100STX, and people have been using primer kit on those skis for years with no primer kit related issue.

+1
    You can use the primers with the CV carbs, but I wouldn't pull the chokes out. I don't know about the 900, but I know it's a big no-no on my Ultra. I just removed the intake manifold and drilled holes in that for the primers.

I installed a kit on a '98 1100 ZXi, with CV carbs, and ended up putting an injector in the balance tube between the front & rear carb. I went to the hardware store and bought a threaded brass fitting with a 1/8" nipple and drilled & tapped the balance tube fitting for it. Works great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information