Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

wear ring stainless or plastic?

What does everyone think about replacing the plastic wear ring with stainless steel? Are there any benefits to one or the other? I have just changed my prop and my waer ring is pooched. ANy input would be appreciated.

+1
    The stainless ring will never wear out. But your impeller does wear some on the outer edges. Yoou will have to send the impeller out to be welded and repaired wear its worn. I run one and like it. Its worth it in my opinion

I have been contemplating this too.

The usual thing is corrosion builds up under the ring(between the stator and it), and could buckle it all over time, but not heard of it on a 'Doo like ours yet.

The only thing that concerns me is the lack of some form of cush-drive.

Any big/solid lump that gets in the pump will attempt to lock the whole engine, yet there is no give anywhere in the drive-chain, and would jolt the crankshaft=pistons etc.

Momentarily yes, but not as gentle as the wear-ring method. It's all that worries me.... given the early '04 cranks were a little prone to something like this.

Just my thoughts... but the jury is out at the moment.

I suppose... bad one way, or bad the other?!?!

+1
    If you keep new brgs in the jet pump you will be happier! Check engine alignment also.

+1
    Stick with the plastic one mate, If you suck somin up it will either shred the splines in your prop or wreck the driveshaft or worse do engine damage.

the stainless 1s wear your prop out.

I have seen the stainless 1s cause cavitation quite a few times.

You just have to replace the plastic 1s more often but it will be less money and less risk of big damage with plastic ring. I say less money coz having a GOOD shop repair your prop wouldnt be cheap. Plus once you have a real good pitch you dont wana be pissing about with it to much getting it welded will only warp it to some extent and when the tinyest movements make all the difference where props are concerned any movement of the blades will have an effect.

You can change the wear ring yourself with bit of time, a prop tool and few other simple tools.

Takes me about hour n half from start to fin and back in water. R88

+1
    Stainless is the way to go. The plastic wear ring continually wears from the first minute you run the ski and performance diminishes. With the stainless wear ring you will maintain performance for a much longer period of time.

Every other manufacturer uses stainless wear rings. Yamaha, Kawasaki, etc. Sea Doo should too!

Suck something up as simple as a plastic bag or twig and your plastic wear ring is toast. Suck the same thing up with a SS wear ring it's chopped up and spit out the back and you hardly know it happened.

Suck something up big enough to cause impeller damage with the SS wear ring then guess what.... the impeller is still damaged with the plastic wear ring but the only difference is your stainless wear ring would still be good. You'll be replacing the plastic

+1
    Have to disagree. Imo its like it is to protect the prop from damage. Its designed to take the abuse off the prop. In order to damage my first ring I sucked up a ton of junk by running in shallow water like an idiot. The plastic ring is not as delicate as you would think and easy to replace! If you ride wisely then either one works fine

+1
    I used to run plastic wear rings, i know all about them. I know i would never ever run one again after running stainless.

If you suck up something big enough to damage the prop it's going to happen with a plastic wear ring or a stainless wear ring regardless!!! The difference is your plastic wear ring will need replacing. The stainless wear ring will be there for the life of your ski.

Some food for thought..... where are all the posts from people saying they damaged their impeller or stripped the splines on their shaft from running a stainless steel wear ring? I assure you if it was happening in epidemic there would be posts everywhere. Check the Yamaha and Kawasaki sections too. No such posts and they are all running SS wear rings too.

+1
    There is nothing like a brand new plastic wear ring. The only problem is that it is only new for the first ride. I used to get so pissed off when I would put a brand new wear ring in and suck sand or a chuk of wood on the first ride and trash it. I have replaced many plastic wear rings after just a couple rides to keep performance 100%. I went through 4 in one season and finaly decided to go stainless. Since then I have sucked up chunks of wood that would normaly get stuck on the impeller and I would have to pull the pump to remove them. With the stainless it just spits them out for whatever reason and no damage to the wear ring. I have seen plastic ones melt from that.

+1

How often should the wear ring be replaced?

My '08 RXT is completely stock with 75 hrs on it. How often should I be replacing the wear ring? I've had a wood chip stuck between the impeller and wear ring and had to ride slowly for 4 miles to a dock. After removing the wood chip, the ski is still running and riding perfectly. So is there anyway to tell if the wear ring is going bad? Or does it suddenly break?

Sorry for the noob question.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information