+1

'08 RXT 215 Pump Tunnel Cracks

I recently noticed a small chip in the gelcoat of my pump tunnel, right where the tunnel starts, at the top of it. The chip was about the size of a nail head, and it had a small crack extending about 2 inches out of it. I assumed that I had run over something. I purchased a gelcoat patch kit from Spectrum and repaired the area. But deeper in the tunnel I've also noticed another long scratch/crack.

I'm not sure if this is a scratch or a crack, if I run my finger nail along the tunnel I can feel a slight ridge. Now my question is, do the regular 2008 RXT's have the same Pump Tunnel cracking problems that the RXT-X's do? My concern is whether or not there might be deeper damage than I can see. I've never had any water enter the ski, and there are definitely no holes in the inner fiberglass that I can see.

My gelcoat patch job looks great and I made sure to grind out beyond the initial crack and chip, but has anyone else done a patch job in this area? Can I expect it to hold up? And how can I tell the difference between stress cracks, and maybe a crack or scratch caused by sucking up a wood chip or something?

Thanks,

Kevin

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
    I recently noticed a small chip in the gelcoat of my pump tunnel, right where the tunnel starts, at the top of it. The chip was about the size of a nail head, and it had a small crack extending about 2 inches out of it. I assumed that I had run over something. I purchased a gelcoat patch kit from Spectrum and repaired the area. But deeper in the tunnel I've also noticed another long scratch/crack.

I'm not sure if this is a scratch or a crack, if I run my finger nail along the tunnel I can feel a slight ridge. Now my question is, do the regular 2008 RXT's have the same Pump Tunnel cracking problems that the RXT-X's do? My concern is whether or not there might be deeper damage than I can see. I've never had any water enter the ski, and there are definitely no holes in the inner fiberglass that I can see.

My gelcoat patch job looks great and I made sure to grind out beyond the initial crack and chip, but has anyone else done a patch job in this area? Can I expect it to hold up? And how can I tell the difference between stress cracks, and maybe a crack or scratch caused by sucking up a wood chip or something?

Thanks,

Kevin
    Kevin Ive done a few rxtx skis for seadoo warranty all of whitch where in the same area as each other.The location was looking from the the jet on the left side from the ride shoe yours sounds like you sucked somthing up.

Thread Information