Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

My Custom Air Intake

WARNING: THIS IS A LONG POST
    Well i finally did the custom air intake but i cant say im happy or impressed with the results. i got .1 mph over my previous best and +0 rpms. the temps were 68° water and 71° air. suprisingly i see 8100 rpms in these conditions at 1300' eleveation but i was turning 8100 rpms with custom air intake and stock prop and 8100 rpms the day before with the stock air intake and the stock prop also. temps. did not change between the stock test and the first test with the new air intake. i even went down to 8000-8050 when water was 70 and air was 77 2 hours after the first testing. first solid run was 68.9 mph while sitting upright and 2 hours later a long stretch with no porpoising 67.7 mph superman??

i went 3" pvc. used the stock hose coming off of the sc and put a pvc reducer bushing on the end to clamp the hose to. the opening is 2.5" to the stock hose. then a 45° elbow that hooks up to about 3' of 3" pvc. then a 90° rubber elbow that clamps to the pvc. then the air filter is clamped on the other side of the 90° rubber elbow. it sits next to/on top of the gas tank.

the reducer bushing is kind of like this http://melevsreef.com/plumbing/pvc_bushing.jpg but it reduces 3" inside diameter to about 2.5" so that is the only restriction i can think of that is causing no gain in performance. i still expected 50-100 rpms b/c i removed the stock intake and now i have an open element air filter. i didnt get a k&n but i got a similar one. would i be better off with a setup like picture #5 of the attachments? i think that nobody does that because of the heat sources that would be right next to the filter (sc, exhaust). i drilled a hole in the pvc to hook up the 3/4" hose that runs into the engine. i dont know what that hose is but i hooked it back up into the stream of air flow. i figured my setup was very similar to rivas power filter. they claim an avg. of 150-200 rpms and 1-2 mph so i was expecting 100 rpms and about 1 mph.

any guesses on why there is no noticable increase in top-end or rpms after removing the stock intake and making this one? the differences i noticed were louder sc whine and some acceleration improvement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0103.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	7381   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0100.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	295.8 KB 
ID:	7382   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0101.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	264.4 KB 
ID:	7383   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0102.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	154.1 KB 
ID:	7384  
    Last edited by JFizzleJR; 08-28-2006 at 07:29 PM.

one reason may be beacause of how close it is to the engine heat....may be sucking hot air instead fresh outside air. maybe try going to a 4" and move it to a place where it can suck fresh outside air in.

Prolly pulling too much heat.....Get 6-8 ft of 3inch kandaflex hose and move that cone filter up by the gas tank & you will be pleased.....

CWB

+1
    my cone filter is by the gas tank.

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JFizzleJR
    my cone filter is by the gas tank.
    I'm confused by your last photo, then.

Im sorry, but I must say that Im not surprised that you didn't gain much top end with this mod.

Even with the RIVA power filter, I didn't even gain 1mph. Still couldn't break 70mph. Didn't gain any RPM. Still @ 8100. Couple weeks of that then I finished my Stage 1 install. Threw on the Solas and wedge and immediatle gained 2mph. Still @ 8100 RPM, which is why I still question how accurate the tach is. Oh well.

But my point is that the intake mod doesn't do much in my experience. I posted a whole thing in depth of what I did in stages. Testing each part of the Stage 1.

I even asked RIVA how many mph I could expect from there intake with nothing else and they said 1mph, maybe less, but no more.

+1
    maybe sucking engine heat

Quote Originally Posted by 05Limited
    me too, that aint by the gas tank.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 05Limited
    i just put the filter there for a minute to see what it would look like. i ran about 3 ft. of pvc to the front and stuck the filter by the gas tank. i took the last picture out to avoid the confusion.
    Last edited by JFizzleJR; 08-28-2006 at 07:31 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information