virage 1200 questions

Hi,
    My friend is new to jetskiing and is looking at buying a ski for this upcoming season. He found a 2001 virage 1200 for 2500. I dont know much about the virage but know there are some members here that know alot about them. if you could tell me if this is a good deal/ski for him, and what are some problems with the 1200. Im not sure if its the carbed or fi one but will find out if needed. Thanks for the help.

Pat

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Both are good machines, The FI can have more electrical problems,but they seem simple to find and correct with the proper guidance from here.

I have rode the Virage in the ocean in Cali. and was very surprized at how well it handles the big water. Pirate33 has massive hours on his 2 in ocean riding,and has only had a stator problem with one just last year.
    And he rides them like he stoled them.

alright thanks for the help. we are going to go look at it 2 weeks from now. What should the compression be in the cylinders and how do i check the compression with a tester on a ski? Im fimaliar with testing on snowmobiles but not sure if its any different with a ski. Thanks.

Pat

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 93 sl750 View Post
    Hi,
    My friend is new to jetskiing and is looking at buying a ski for this upcoming season. He found a 2001 Virage 1200 for 2500.

I don't know much about the Virage but know there are some members here that know a lot about them.

if you could tell me if this is a good deal/ski for him, and what are some problems with the 1200.

I'm not sure if its the carb'ed or fi one but will find out if needed. Thanks for the help....
    Quote Originally Posted by 93 sl750 View Post
    ...What should the compression be in the cylinders and how do i check the compression with a tester on a ski?

I'm familiar with testing on snowmobiles but not sure if its any different with a ski....
    Check compression with all spark plugs out, throttle pinned open, plug wires grounded.

Compression should be in the 120-150PSI range (give or take). All three cylinders should be within 5% of each other, which is more important than the actual PSI number.

Carb'ed version seems to be very reliable engine. It is important to replace the fuel lines if they are the original gray Tempo brand, AND remove and clean/rebuild the carbs. the gray Tempo fuel line is infamous for clogging up the carbs and causing engine damage.

The fuel injected version is the same engine, mechanically, with direct cylinder injection controlled by an EMM module.

As long as the EMM is working properly, the Ficht system tends to work well, with reasonable fuel economy, reliable starting, and no carb adjusting regardless of air temp or altitude.

Is the machine from salt water or fresh water?

Check the hull for signs of abuse or bottom damage, and check inside for cracking of the molded ribs around the front engine mounts. Almost all Virage hulls will have minor internal rib cracking, and it is not a problem unless it becomes extensive.

Click below for lots more technical info

Thread Information