Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reed question.

+1

Reed question.

Can someone tell me whats the gain if you add reed stuffes and reed tippers and v-2's? and spacers!. Is it worth the price? I know New it would be hundreds.

1 more question, if i take the reed cages here and hold them up to the light and looking inside the cage,,,,,,,at the light...if I see any light shing thru as i tip it up and down... does that mean that reed is bent a little or used a little ? Should i see no light at any angle ? are you suppose to see a little bit all the time or none. I'm guess ing no light is best.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    Can someone tell me whats the gain if you add reed stuffes and reed tippers and v-2's? and spacers!. Is it worth the price? I know New it would be hundreds.

1 more question, if i take the reed cages here and hold them up to the light and looking inside the cage,,,,,,,at the light...if I see any light shing thru as i tip it up and down... does that mean that reed is bent a little or used a little ? Should i see no light at any angle ? are you suppose to see a little bit all the time or none. I'm guess ing no light is best.
    everything adds up (hp)after a bit,,
    sounds like bad reed tips ,,, post up some pics
    matt

+1
    There not broke or anything bad, but like i said if you hold up the cages to the light i see like 2 up top i can see light and 1 on the bottom a little too. can you use green reeds and carbon reeds and the vanilla colored ones and swap them or NO? I figure, no.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	starting motor after putting clean heads and gasketson 001.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	2.97 MB 
ID:	162019   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	starting motor after putting clean heads and gasketson 002.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	162020   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	starting motor after putting clean heads and gasketson 003.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	3.01 MB 
ID:	162021  

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    yup they look toasted
    dont about what you can swap around ,but the others will
    matt

+1

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    A "slight" bit of a opening on used reeds are normal,and really doesn't hurt. As soon as the piston starts to down stroke,the pressure will force them closed tight. You can also flip the reeds over so the curve is facing inwards.

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    The book says that the max. is .015" opening from reed to seating surface. If you have more than that they Must be replaced, and cannot be flipped over.
    Iv'e read that people say you can flip the fiberglass reeds, but not the carbon fiber.

+1
    thats interesting not being able to flip the carbon ones, any idea why not? Hmm maybe this winter when im bored we'll take them apart and do some flipping and see how they look.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by starflight View Post
    The book says that the max. is .015" opening from reed to seating surface. If you have more than that they Must be replaced, and cannot be flipped over.
    Iv'e read that people say you can flip the fiberglass reeds, but not the carbon fiber.
    Precisely ^^^^^^^^^

If you flip the carbon reeds over, they will crack.

Then you'll be removing the carbs and playing with the reeds AGAIN.

Do it right the first time.

Don't swap this, that and one of those....

If one's a light tension reed and another is medium tension, you'll have a tuning nightmare.

Buy a new set of reed petals and be done with it.

+1
    Well said there! I will. How long do these things last? stock ones probably run 100 hrs without the owner even knowing theres reeds under the seat! and they never get changed i bet. so whats a real world swag estimate in hours between reed changes? every race? in competition? or every season? or 30 hours rec ride time? i usually ride and never worry about the reeds. whats makes them break? i thought gasoline is flying by them? isnt there filters to catch debris in the carb? not to mention the fuel seperator and gas screens in the tank and the fuel filter itself? wtf... carbon fiber reeds actually fail?
    hard to believe. or prone to cracking? hmmm, maybe not as tough as once thought or a bad design maybe. that stuff is tough.

They put carbon fiber on the baddest boat n cars in the world for strength and safety ,lightness and durabilty. I'll have to request that K-447 look into this subject and report back with a full anaylsis!!

a high strength-to-weight ratio material. The density of carbon fiber is also considerably lower than the density of steel, making it ideal for applications requiring low weight. The properties of carbon fiber such as high tensile strength, low weight, and low thermal expansion make it very popular in aerospace, civil engineering, military, and motorsports, along with other competition sports. However, these enhanced features make it relatively expensive when compared to similar materials such as fiberglass or plastic. Carbon fiber is very strong when stretched or bent, but weak when compressed or exposed to high shock (eg. a carbon fiber bar is extremely difficult to bend, but will crack easily if hit with a hammer).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information