How do the Yamaha Covers hold up?

So I have a couple '09s, a FZR and a VX Cruiser. Bought the Yamaha Covers and to tell you the truth, I really like them. Heard about the leaking issue and will be prepared for that. I bought one of those canopy garages Costco has for like $200 and it has held up well since July until this last wind storm we had. The thing was across the street! lol seriously across the street! No real damage but the wind somehow picked it up and well... moved it convieninetly into my neighbors side yard. It was a pain to get back out and took me and 2 friends to do it. Didn't even scratch the skis when it decided to fly away.
    I now tied the corners down to the trailer and looks like it might stay put but I'm thinking screw it, I have theft insurance. Maybe just leave em in the driveway with the Yami covers? I'll be out a bit for my mods if they dissapear, thats for sure but I'm more worried about the lawsuit from my other, less friendly neighbors if the canopy decides to visit their window next time.
    Any Thoughts?

And yes, the trailer has a toungue lock and both wheels have wheel locks and I got 2 of the monster 1 7/8" thick cable locks linked together going thru the D rings and around both skis and thru the trailer.
    Thanks....

+1
    The Yamaha covers are very good, but do tend to fade after a few years. One word of warning, though. If you tow with one, put a blanket or something else on the painted surfaces first (i.e. the cowlings) then put the cover on. If you don't, the wind will move the cover around ever so slightly and put a thousand little scratches on your cowlings that will require buffing out. I found this out the hard way.

+1
    If you're talking about those 10' x 20' temporary 'garages' that have the metal frame and vinyl roof, I've got one that we set up at the lake for shade.

Ours got picked up by a dust devil and swirled around up in the air about 50 feet before it landed in the lake.

Here's what you do to prevent it from taking flight in the future. The vinyl roof is held on by a bunch of bungee cords, spaced about 16" apart. You really don't need many bungees to hold it on. Now, I rig mine with only bungies in the corners, and one on each side in the middle. It's not real secure, but it holds the roof on unless the wind really picks up. Anchor the metal frame to the ground with screw-in anchors or weights. If the wind picks up, the bungees will break or the vinyl will tear and fly off, but the metal parts stay in place. At least that way, it won't damage anything else.

Its one of those with the metal frame and Vinyl but this one has sides and a double zipper roll up front door. Oh and the reason I tied it to the trailer was its on the driveway and wife says I can't drill hole in "her" driveway hah... Well, I'm going to just give the covers only a shot.
    And thx for the info.. btw no, I don't tow with them. The covers are just for storage/parking.
    I had a problem..big problem when a cover tore apart on a 23 foot boat I was taking to the river one time... Was ok but the thing got into the tires and I had a fun ride for a minute at 70. never again. Someone coulda got killed.

+1
    I don't know about the Yamaha Waverunner covers, but their boat covers are pretty good quality. Mine is still in pretty good shape after 12 years. I almost always use it for towing, the vacuum ports suck it down tightly to the boat.

Yamaha covers are the best. Don't settle for the flimsy cheap aftermarket ones. I have a few for my gpr's and xlt. They do tend to fade if you leave your skis outside during the day alot. I ran out of room a few days ago in my garage on Monday when we had that big bad storm. Had to leave one of my skis out in the back . Came out the next morning. Cover was still on. But inside where the mats are at were filled with water. I don't tow with them just like to keep them covered up.

I've had pretty good luck with the oem Yamaha covers, just don't throw them in the wash because the nylon fabric will fray at the ends and the seams will come loose.

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    the OEM covers are the best. And yes, they do fade, but that's the point. the cover takes the abuse instead of you paint, trim and seat.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by addicted View Post
    the OEM covers are the best. And yes, they do fade, but that's the point. the cover takes the abuse instead of you paint, trim and seat.
    +1 on that.

I've had one of mine get a little moldy once.... spots here and there so I used a little 409 on them. Anyone else have a good way of cleaning these covers?

I got the OEM covers for both and they work great. We had our first big storm of the year in So Cal last week and no problems whatsoever. I'll have to see how well they dry out but I left right after and am still up in Tahoe Skiing

Thread Information