Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Riva power filter needs EFI

Installed a riva power filter, the big round one, on my 06gp1300. Engine is all stock evcept for d-plate, have all the hull mods done, ppk, rd rideplate, rd trim tabs, 1200 rd grate, 14-20 dynafly. The power filter has to have to have the EFI controller with it. Ski ran like shizzit. Super lean in all rpm bands. Lost 1-1.5 mph on top, but the low and midrange were the worst.. Wouldnt pull a sick whore off the toilet! Went 69.3 with all stock intake plumbing, went 67.8 best with power filter.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Did you remove the 3 flame arresters in the box because if you did not you are not accomplishing anything, You are just adding more restriction.

Thanks Jim. No, i didnt know there was anything inside the box attached to the throttle bodies, just assumed it was all open inside...These are seperate flame arrestors you cant see untill you remove the box, or made as a part of the box that you have to cut out?

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    you have to remove the whole air box once out remove the 13 screws to split the air box. Then you will see the 3 metal flame arrestors remove the 2 screws holding each flame arrestor, And then put the box back together and you will be all set.

Cool, thanks again Jim. I would never had guessed there was anything inside the box. Will have results of this removed from box by sunday evening...

I just put the Riva Race one on mine and it runs good. Pulls hard but I havent really gotten full on it yet since I just had the motor rebuilt.

Does anyone know whether you need the efi controller just using the power filter and/or race filter? I know that you might run lean by not installing the controller particularly running the race filter but read the stock mapping will account for 'certain' lean conditions. Any truth to that?

I was told that D-Plate and Race Filter SHOULD use an EFI. But can get buy with out maybe. I wouldn't risk it... Im not.

+1
    Just buy the EFI before anyhting else... you are going to need it at some point and they are not getting any cheaper. Its a hard purchase in that you dont get a big bang for the buck but it will pay off down the road.

I followed Jims1300 advice and removed the factory flame arrestors hiding inside the air box. Restrictive looking little bastards these are for sure. I was expecting more of a screen type arrestor, but these are stamped steel with holes punched in them and have as much area blocked as they do open for airflow. I also had the outerwears on the power filter which restricts even more. Will give the update on changes sunday nite.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information