Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    It got WIFI and touchscreen ! PWCGUY's Avatar
    +1

15 Gallons Gas Tank for X4 Hull

So the biggest limitation of the X4 hull for rec use IMO is the 9 gallon fuel tank. I have been thinking about how to fix this for a few years and have finally completed a mod. Basically I added an auxiliary 6 gallon tank with separate fill and an electric fuel pump to transfer the additional 6 gallons into the main tank. 9 gallons + 6 gallons = 15 gallons total capacity. The beauty here is that you do not need to put gas in the auxiliary tank if you are not going on a long trip so no effect on handling. Downside is compromises on storage space however its not as bad as it looks, see attachements.

First, the storage tray has been modified to help secure the auxiliary tank on top of the main tank. Second I have a 55 liter dry bag which fits inside the hull and in front of the fuel tanks which provides a decent amount of storage volume but there is only ~ 3.75 inches clearance when putting things in or removing from this space in front of fuel tanks and yes the fire extinguisher can be removed from its new location along side the fuel tank. One key to this mod is the main fuel tank filler pipe. It needs to be rerouted to allow space for the auxiliary tank and new fittings added for supply and return fuel hoses to integrate the new auxiliary fuel tank. Regarding fuel hose routing …… good news is no changes to stock fuel hoses. The new fuel hose go bottom of auxilary tank to electric fuel transfer pump then to mid section of main tank filler pipe. Then there is an overflow return line from the top of the main tank fill pipe to the top of the auxiliary tank. Electric fuel pump is connected to dash mounted switch powered when lanyard is on the post. So if you need extra fuel capacity just fill-up the auxiliary tank and turn the switch on and that’s it. If the main tank is also full then the fuel from auxiliary tank floods the main tank fill pipe and spills back into the auxiliary tank via overflow line.

This was not a quick mod but well worth it if you need my fuel capacity. The 6 gallon tank was purchased from tank depot and can be installed through the front storage compartment.

Mike D.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MTfill.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	334.6 KB 
ID:	162062  

Not to rain on your parade but The 12gal tank from an early GTX will fit right in the original spot and use the same setup as stock with out all the complexity. Not to mention the extra weight from the fuel is going to change the whole handling caricature of the X-4.. A GSXL already has 15 gal and will handle the weight better and has 135 hp 947cc engine.

+1
    Pest,
    No rain here !! Yes the 12 gallon tank fits but always effected handling of X4 hull even when you didn't need the extra fuel ( sloshes around ). Also I think there is an issue with oil tank but I'm not sure. Yes the GSXL have 15 gallons but not as light as X4 hull either. The adition of 6 gallons does effect handling but only if you need the extra gas in which case its worth it. If you only need / want 9 gallons then only fill main tank and the boat handles and jumps like it always did ( unlike a 12 gallon refit ).

All mods are not for all people so its fine by me if this mod doesn't appeal to you just trying to share.

Mike D.

+1
    Pest,

One more point ...... I think my motor puts out more than 135 hp and is significantly lighter than a 951.

Mike D.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PWCGUY View Post
    Pest,

One more point ...... I think my motor puts out more than 135 hp and is significantly lighter than a 951.

Mike D.

edit... nvm i just read your sig.

good idea on the tank though

RETIRED !! In Mobile AL or Wherever I Want To Go
    +1
    That is a great fix. That sure beats the 2.5 gallon can of premix I haul around in the bow of my x4. BTW, there may be some vendors that still carry the foam that you can put inside the fuel tank to keep it from sloshing around. Sort of a "windage" tray type effect. It works well in my 97 spx.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    That is a great mod!!! I knew about the GTX tank too, but shyed away from it, due to the handling changes of the hull. As you brought up.

This is a very cool idea. When both tanks are full how does it handle? Does it just sit a little lower in the water? How much "top-heaviness" feel does it add when making turns?

Robert

PS- What the hell is that in your avatar? Boiler setup?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    That is a great mod!!! I knew about the GTX tank too, but shyed away from it, due to the handling changes of the hull. As you brought up.

This is a very cool idea. When both tanks are full how does it handle? Does it just sit a little lower in the water? How much "top-heaviness" feel does it add when making turns?

Robert

PS- What the hell is that in your avatar? Boiler setup?
    I'll have to report back on handling with 15 gallons on board as I just finished the mod and its going to snow here today. I don't think its going to be too bad as the extra 6 gallons has limited space to slosh,~ 36 lbs and is in the same location but with a lower CG as items in the original storage tray. Stay tuned.

The pic in avatar is the heart of a geothermal system for my home. It does home heating, cooling, domestic hot water and heats my hot tub.

+1
    RQ is into that Geothermal stuff, don't let him get his grubby hands on it, LOL

TLR

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    I'm a dealer for WaterFurnace. Post up a bigger pic, would love to see your setup. How many tons, two speed, zoned, all that? I don't see any ductwork...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information