Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

smbstyle's GPR-SHO conversion

I know this isn't a "build", but i decided to create this thread to document my further modifications of a GPR-SHO I purchased already built. I'll be posting mods, numbers, and whatever else happens with this ski.

I picked this ski up from another forum member, danny1496, about three weeks ago. When I purchased the ski it had an engine-tech SS wheel, hks ssqv bov, xs intercooler, 1200 intake grate, stepped sponsons, UMI steering bar, Dynotune air/fuel and boost gauges, custom made gauge pod, innovate LC-1 wideband, custom bent prop.

Right off the bat I have done the following:

R&D Powershot

Removed Decals

Rear-mounted flushing system - Jim's creation! I love it, no more water dripping into the hull, very easy to access.

Relocated Factory SHO gauge - i liked the look of the SHO gauge, and i wanted to be able to monitor RPMs and fuel levels.

Relocated SHO buttons - put them in the little glove compartment, that way i can shut off the buzzer without having to pull out the front bucket and reach up front like when I first got the ski.

Jim's plate from my old GPR - previous owner had a Riva plate. Jim had to do a little grinding on the pump in order for this to clear...

Heres a quick startup video of the ski I took today. I drove home through a long and heavy rainstorm, got some water in the boost gauge so it was acting funky... as you can see in the video:

The next mods I'm planning on is a gutted out 1200 waterbox. When Jim had my ski apart installing the flushing system, we noticed that the SHO waterbox (more like a 50 gal drum), was rubbing bad against the hull. So that is first on the list...

Also, Jim noticed that the prop that is currently in there is all kinds of messed up... it wasn't repitched properly and the workmanship was pretty poor. I'm definitely losing some speed from it. I'm going to see where my RPMs are at with it, pull it out, measure the pitch and find out what prop will be best for this setup.

I'm also trying to decide what intake/filter setup I should run... I found a stainless steel mesh air intake filter, and may put together some custom plumbing (save myself the $270 for the riva filter), or just run a similar filter that I have on it now, just a better quality filter, like k&n.

After those issues are out of the way....

Mline seat cover (blue and black)
    Have the manifold and throttle body worked (will be calling up JD1 and Rossnemo)
    Riva Fuel Pressure Regulator Kit
    555cc Injectors
    Engine-Tech high boost wheel
    heavy duty s/c shaft

down the line, once I have my speed up to where I want it (90's), I'd like to go with a skat magnum pump (12 vein probably, set back), that way I can have some kind of holeshot... right now i'd probably get beat in the 1/8 mile by a wave blaster.

Also, as far as paint... I'm thinking crimson red metallic fairings with a flat black paint job but that's going to be after the mechanical mods.

I would like the input of everyone on anything you think I should/shouldn't do, speed tips and tricks, or just any general comments you have.

Thanks!

-Scott

+1
    Keep us posted.. Looking good

PS I love the rear flush..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG4685.JPG 
Views:	299 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	162088  

Has it been GPS'ed in its current form? Just curious as to what it runs with the dinged up impeller.

+1

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by smbstyle View Post
    Rear-mounted flushing system - Jim's creation! I love it, no more water dripping into the hull, very easy to access.
    Not my creation Scott it's been out for ever, I just use it because it's easier to flush the ski.

Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    Not my creation Scott it's been out for ever, I just use it because it's easier to flush the ski.
    well then I can say I liked the idea after seeing your ski with it, it makes life a lot easier when flushing!

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider05 View Post
    Has it been GPS'ed in its current form? Just curious as to what it runs with the dinged up impeller.
    it ran 80.1mph with it breaking up top either from bad plugs or from it running real lean. I'm taking it out tomorrow to tune the powershot and I'll get some good numbers in its current form before a new prop.

also, update on the boost gauge... i think it's toast; it still isn't acting up. Looks like I'm going to have to get a new display from DynoTune, which will give me an excuse to mount it somewhere else.

Any suggesstions on where and how to mount the gauge? I definitely need to seal it up real good this time. I'm probably going to relocate the wideband somewhere as well...

Ok, results from today....

well not only is the boost gauge trashed, the wideband gauge is trashed as well, so couldnt tune the powershot. I have it at 5-6 at WOT, so I should be perfect if not running on the rich side (factory settings were too lean, about 13.3-13.7 but again, no real way of knowing without the wideband. kinda bummed about that.

Also, the prop in it has GOT to go... I was pounding the rev limiter the whole time today, it would pull and pull and then just stop and bounce on the rev limiter, so I need to pull the prop out, check the pitch (previous owner pitched it himself, doesnt know the pitch on it), then get a higher pitched impeller.

Best today was 81.5mph in slight chop.

The new plugs definitely helped make it run a lot better, and I can tell the ski still has a lot more in it and wants to keep pulling, but the prop is holding it back big time.

Also ran against a lightly modified GP1200R today just to see the difference in holeshot, and I get killed out of the hole with this cavitation. RXP-X pump maybe?

Also looking for suggestions on where to mount the boost and a/f gauges since I'm going to need to go buy two new displays....

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information