Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1992 SL 650 triple polaris sank

hi, im new to posting threads, so work with me a bit. i have 2 polaris SL 650 jet skis both exactly the same. they have been stored for aproxamatly 3-4 years. I had them out about 6 months back and one started and ran great, unlike jet ski #2, which didnt start at all. i checked wires and everything, the box that mounts ontop of the batery (i dont know what this is or what it does) just makes a click noise when i push the start button. starter dont act like its seazed or anything like that. what could this problem be? what is that box?

jet ski #1 ran amazing for being stored for such a period.. i had it in the water for 3 days. on the third day, it took alot of water in. i think water came in slowly over total period of being in the water. i didnt notice this untill i stalled out and motor wouldnt turn over.. i opened engine compartment and fount water had got sucked into the carb.. i took the spark plugs out and when i hit the button.. oily water shot in the air. wish i would have thought about that instead of getting sprayed in the face.. anyways.. any info or hints how to get it to run again.. do i have to take the engine out? is there water in my crank case, or anywhere else?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    OK, here's the deal. I don't have time right now to go into great detail.

There is water inside the engine, and the crankshaft bearings are made of steel. You must get the water out of the engine right away, or the crank shaft bearings will become junk.

Crank the engine with the plugs out, until very little water is coming out. Then put the spark plugs back in, and get the engine started. You may need to remove and dry off the spark plugs multiple times before the engine will start. When you do get it started (on a trailer, I assume), let it run for maybe 30 seconds.

Then let it cool for a few minutes, then run it a second time.

Next you need to get onto a lake, and run it to get the engine thoroughly warmed up, and dried out inside. If you cannot do that, then run it one or two more times, will cool-down intervals, then fog the engine.

In any case, next you want to thoroughly spray engine fogging oil into the carb intakes while the engine is idling. Don't skimp on the fogging oil

Then shut the engine down, remove the spark plugs, and spray some fogging oil into each cylinder. Bump the start button to turn the engine over a couple of times. If you are lucky, the crank case bearings have been saved from rust.

The other guys on here can tell you what comes next, but first thing is the get that engine dried out and fogged ASAP.

You can use the Search function to look for more info in the Polaris section. Search for flooded, or ingested

You are not the first person to have this problem. Read what others have gone through.

Also click the link below, which has lots of useful info

thank you, i hope that there are more people to help. but thank you for your time, u have helped me alot with that info. but here is the thing, not being by my choice, the water has been in the motor for months..

If you had water in the engine for months the crank is seized...

If youre lucky you can find a used crank off ebay for $50-200 and hope its in index.

The pistons should be ok, and a aggressive hone on the cyls. The experts can confirm...

+1
    Oh yes, welcome to the Hulk

Time to inventory what you have;

One SL650 (1992 model year?) with seized engine, rusted crank. Electrics may be OK, since it was running before the hull flooded.

One SL650 (1992 model year?) with no-crank problem.

The model year is the last two digits on the HIN number plate on the rear deck.

You need to decide on a plan of action. Are you going to repair both machines, or use the best parts from each to create one running machine? Are you willing to do the repair work yourself?

There is a lot of information covering almost every aspect of the Fuji engined Polaris on these forums. Use the search function to learn about clicking from the electrical box.

Usually it is caused by a bad battery, bad solenoid/start relay (the thing that is clicking), bad heavy cable connections, or a bad starter motor. Sometimes it is a seized engine or seized Bendix gear.

Be sure to read the following, and click the links;
    I just bought a Polaris PWC - what should I do?

Click here for information specific to the Fuji engined Polaris PWC (1992-1997)
    These have engine sizes of 650, 750, and 780cc, and the engines are normally painted blue.

Polaris Fuji (blue) engine

1992 was eighteen years ago, so it is likely your two machines will need a lot of work to bring them back to life, and make them reliable.

Reliability is important, since you don't want to be stranded on the water. It is also a lot more fun to know your machine is not about to break down again.

Just as important, by taking the time to go over each PWC from end to end and update/repair everything that needs it, you will know how it all works, and if something does fail, you will know how to deal with it.

Assume that everything on each machine needs attention, from the electrics to the engine to the drive shaft seals and through-hull bearing, to the jet pump seals and bearings.

Another member is currently working through a rebuild of his 1993 SL 650;
    1993 SL650 Engine Rebuild - Could use help in here

that's me doing the 93 rebuild...and trust me these are relatively simple to rebuild. I never even replaced a spark plug before this and didn't have most of the tools needed.

the thread he linked you to has a list of most of the stuff I needed to do it, and while I am only halfway through, I have not had much trouble getting it done.

if you have the desire, the rest we can help you with.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

If you have 1 good ski, and 1 questionable one, I'd cut your losses and use the bad one as a parts ski for the other.

The cost of rebuilding the questionable ski would be just as much if not more than buying another good running engine or another ski all together.

There are alot of deals out there right now.

thank u all. i have the first ski in my garage. i have alot of fun and would love to keep both skis. any other info about these skis and rebuilds along with upgrades would be greatly apreciated.

+1
    i have many polaris parts here, and can order new parts also.

i would be more than happy to help with your project(s). you "may" want to think about upgrading to a 750 motor.

i should have some good used cranks, ( i have some motors i need to break down, and inspect). and can order new 650 top end rebuild kits for about 300.00 + s&h. this would have new pistons, rings, pins, clips, and top end bearings.

let me know if i can help, with parts, advise, etc.

emails, or phone calls are the best way to get me.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]$ Hudick View Post
    ...any other info about these skis and rebuilds along with upgrades would be greatly appreciated.
    Click the link in my signature, and follow the many links on the first few pages.

Upgrades - you need to be careful, as your starting point is the smallest displacement engine (68HP) in the very first generation Polaris PWC.

Over the next few model years, Polaris changed, enlarged, and upgraded almost every single aspect of the SL 650. A 1995 SL 650 is quite different from the 1992 version.

In 1993 there was a stronger 750 engine available in the SL 750, and in 1995 the 780 engine became available.

By 1994, the SL hull and jet pump had been revised, withthe fuel system and engine cooling improved and simplified.

There were a number of Service Bulletins and updates for the early year Polaris, so do follow through and make sure they have been attended to on your machines.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information