+1

Kawasaki offshore

Good day all,
    A friend and I are looking for a couple of skis for ocean use only. We now have Riva kitted RXPs. We have been running exclusively at the Colorado River. We will be buying a couple of skis to use on the ocean off Ventura. Looking for something that will handle the chop in the afternoon. If we ever get the obnoxious Chanel Islands PWC ban overturned we will venturing over to the islands.
    One of the things we are looking for is a decent range. We can get over 120 miles on the RXPs. We have been looking at the Kawasaki Ultra LX and the STX 15F. I don't think the Ultra 250/260 have the fuel range we need. I like the speed of the STX (5-6 mph faster than LX with same motor). However I have some reservations about the STXs ability to handle chop. Occasionally I will have my wife along for the ride ( Me 200lbs she 105lbs ).

I know from experience with Chevrolet big blocks that the centrifugal type supercharger has much less parasitic drag at cruise speeds than the roots type that is used on the supercharged Ultras. This translates into much better fuel economy at cruise. Does anybody have any experience with a Procharger or a turbo on a LX?

Thanks,
    Dennis B.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    guys have been switching over to the vortech chargers for a while now, its basically the same setup used on the race 15fs the problem there is they are tuned for performance not economy, if you want range get the stx ski, not the 15f its the same hull but with a 1 piece seat, no reverse, 1 waterbox, and no boarding step, its the same ski but with less weight. if you want rough water go for a 250 or 260x the lx will be a dog.

Sean

+1
    Thanks for the input Sean.
    Regards,
    Dennis

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    guys have been switching over to the vortech chargers for a while now, its basically the same setup used on the race 15fs the problem there is they are tuned for performance not economy, if you want range get the stx ski, not the 15f its the same hull but with a 1 piece seat, no reverse, 1 waterbox, and no boarding step, its the same ski but with less weight. if you want rough water go for a 250 or 260x the lx will be a dog.

Sean
    I am sorry but I have to disagree. The LX while yes about 10 mph slower than the 250/260, When the seas get to the point where a rec rider would be glad to have the comfort ofthe ultra hull, he or she will not want to be riding over 55. If they are just cruising around 45 the LX is very fuel friendly with much less operating expence. There are many times while I am just rec riding in the Gulf and I am not running wide open. At 45 I get almost a true 6 mpg. For the comfort I get from the ultra hull that is plenty good enough range for me. WOT I get 4. My ski is completely stock. I do alot of long distance and offshore riding and am very satisfied with my decision to get the LX.
    I do have to admit though when it is calm I wish I had a few additional mph.

The only one offshore hull is the ultra 250!!!

You can put firstly a deep fuel pick up , than a second fuel tank as in the link below and if you have time and money put turbo on an ultra. 25% less fuel consumption.

Fuel pick up
    http://www.teammotoracing.com/?cat=107

tank

Thread Information