Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Air induction.

+1

Air induction.

Ok. I'm back at it again. I found a blower motor that maybe I could rig up to work on the ski. Still http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ease=101443856need to convert it d/c to a/c though.

Yeah no plug ! i'm redneckking it! lol. I learned that from a guy from tenneesee!. Him n his sister get along real well! lol. I had a sweet clear air intake for it, but I just lost the bid on ebay typing this~! lol.

A little motor like this shouldnt be too hard to convert and hook up. I won't need 3 car batteriers to run it.

+1
    Or do what I did, and run two 12v 4" blowers in tandem. The engine will still use more than the fans can supply, but it's a good way to ventilate the hull. Helps to move some of that warm, stagnant, summer air around in those long 20 min. no wake zones also. Moves the shower curtain around pretty good from 2 - 3ft away!!

+1
    yeah! that will work great looks like. im not trying to get more power really, just a fresh air inlet for the engine to breath. I think they are too tight under there breathing. Sucking all that hot air cant be helping. Like i said i had a sweet air duct but lost it. errrr. this would of looked sweet on the side!, I was gonna use 1 tube to run off it and then 3 more into the 1 and run each hose like a manifold to the carbs.

Those redtops will suck the hoses flat! Do you think it would incrase the mph any at all or the throttle response? I like that black motor I have here. its small and the housing is plastic and it already has the screw mounting flanges on it!. it's ready to go!. fairly light too. maybe i could switch it to 12 volt with a different motor on it. where did u get your setup from?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!Bfj7,sg!mk~$(KGrHqEH-DsEreR0u9tuBLByR45s-!~~_35.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	6.3 KB 
ID:	162461  

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1

this is posted on marks page (HYDROTOYS)
    matt

I dont see it being worth it to run a AC induction motor in a 12V ski. Arent the stators rated for 10A at 12V? With that motor youre probably drawing what, .4A or so at 120VAC? Then youd have a garbage power factor running a AC induction motor straight off a inverter to factor in. Assuming its a efficient inverter, youd expect to use probably close to 6-8A off the 12V of the ski...

That would be running your stator dangerously close to the limits constantly.
    A 12v system would be massively more efficient, and not require a inverter, which would need to be waterproofed and not require air flow, when nearly all do.

And if you plan on running that directly in line with the engine, youre going to massively restrict airflow. Using it to ventilate the hull would probably help several factors... I wouldnt think it would help really at all with WOT runs, as the engine will be pulling in significantly more air than that little fan will, so it wouldnt make a difference, possibly even slightly restrict airflow. Any restrictions from a secondary ventilation system like that would likely be negligible, however.

Very high CFM 12VDC fans are somewhat readily available. I have some really neat Panaflow's pulled from a server that throw a few hundred CFM in a 170MM? package.

+1
    I would stick with the 12v system due to limitations of the electrical system. I also wouldn't duct anything directly to the intake tract due to possible water ingestion and the fact that the engine will want more than the blowers can provide, essentially turning them into restrictors. The blowers and switch I purchased at West Marine. The 4" silicone connector and clamps came from http://siliconeintakes.com/.

Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    yeah! that will work great looks like. im not trying to get more power really, just a fresh air inlet for the engine to breath. I think they are too tight under there breathing. Sucking all that hot air cant be helping. Like i said i had a sweet air duct but lost it. errrr. this would of looked sweet on the side!, I was gonna use 1 tube to run off it and then 3 more into the 1 and run each hose like a manifold to the carbs.

Those redtops will suck the hoses flat! Do you think it would incrase the mph any at all or the throttle response? I like that black motor I have here. its small and the housing is plastic and it already has the screw mounting flanges on it!. it's ready to go!. fairly light too. maybe i could switch it to 12 volt with a different motor on it. where did u get your setup from?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 048.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	162463   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 044.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	162464   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	162465   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 046.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	162466  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KEYZBUM View Post

this is posted on marks page (HYDROTOYS)
    matt
    Yup, did it on the pro. It really does help in AZ getting cool air into the hull. We saw a clear 1mph increase AND a massive accelerations increase. This was when it was 100plus deg outside. You could turn it off while running and drop the speed of the ski, or turn it back on, and it would pick back up. It only seem to help in Summer.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Do not mess around with 120VAC in a PWC hull - water and high voltage do not mix well.

Do some CFM calculations. What does the engine move per minute in air volume, and what do the fans move? An engine is just a big air pump

The math isn't that hard;
    A 1.2 liter engine (1200cc) moves roughly 1.2 liters of air per revolution. At 7,000RPM, it would move 8400 liters of air per minute (7000 * 1.2).

Roughly that converts to 300 cubic feet per minute.

So the engine is drawing 300 CFM. Any supplementary fans would need to move at least that much to avoid becoming an air flow restriction.

How much static air pressure would the fan(s) be working against?

Bonus questions:
    If you have tuned exhaust pipes (triple pipes), does the total air flow per minute through the engine increase at WOT RPM, or does it just use the same airflow more effectively?

If it moves more air per stroke, how does the crankcase manage to draw the extra air in?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    Yup, did it on the pro. It really does help in AZ getting cool air into the hull.

We saw a clear 1mph increase AND a massive accelerations increase. This was when it was 100plus deg outside. You could turn it off while running and drop the speed of the ski, or turn it back on, and it would pick back up.

It only seem to help in Summer.
    Was the effect immediate, or did it take a few moments for the air inside the hull to react to the fan turning on/off?

What CFM was the fan rated for?

The motor assembly looks quite small on that fan posted. Id assume its a 120MM, and throws about 60-80 CFM. Those are quite easy to get in the 150-200 CFM range if you go into the Delta triwings. Theyre LOUD however... But you probably couldnt hear them over the engine for the most part.

I could absolutely see it helping if its a high CFM fan and its REALLY hot outside. Especially coming from a hot idle to WOT if you've been sitting, that would probably drop in hull temps dramatically.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information