Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What caused this Piston Damage - Ultra 150

Ultra 150 with recent rebuild. This is PTO piston. PTO Cylinder was sleeved with WSM sleeve. It ran about 1 hour. There was a carb issue. First pto slider was not opening, then found a restriction between the fuel pump and the carbs. Pump is attached to pto carb. Fuel flows through pto carb to the other 2 carbs. All cylinders should have had lean condition. Question is did pto cylinder get damaged because of wsm sleeve material versus better OEM material? I honed cylinder to next oversize and have about 1 hour on engine again and everything fine so far. Please any input appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	112409_2.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	173.3 KB 
ID:	162525   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	112409_5.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	162526  

I would say either lack of oil or water injestion got it. You might want to look at the deck height of that cylinder and the head gasket to be sure it is sealing. Check that the oil lines are routed corectly and not cracked and leaking.

Did You sleave all 3 cylinders or just #3? Steel sleves in an ultra is usually a bad idea. They dont transfer heat or last as well as nicasiled bores.

+1
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is pto?

Stands for "power take off" or in other words the coupling end of the crank.

what bore to skirt clearance was it set up for??

+1

ultra 150

Quote Originally Posted by hotshotbz View Post
    Ultra 150 with recent rebuild. This is PTO piston. PTO Cylinder was sleeved with WSM sleeve. It ran about 1 hour. There was a carb issue. First pto slider was not opening, then found a restriction between the fuel pump and the carbs. Pump is attached to pto carb. Fuel flows through pto carb to the other 2 carbs. All cylinders should have had lean condition. Question is did pto cylinder get damaged because of wsm sleeve material versus better OEM material? I honed cylinder to next oversize and have about 1 hour on engine again and everything fine so far. Please any input appreciated.
    Looks to be oil injection slash carbs together.

Only cyl #3 was sleeved; I was running 50:1 premix along with the oil injection so can see how oil could have been an issue. Oil lines are like new. I was thinking of water ingestion too, but could not find a trace of water anywhere when i disassembled it.

I did not measure bore to skirt clearance. I Just had it bored to exact standard measurement with standard piston. The second time with the .25mm oversize piston, i set clearance to 0.0055".

I have about 2 hours on it now and still runs good. The only thing i can think of so far is the carb slide issue and the lean condition due to the fuel pump clog, causing high temps and the steel sleeve not dissipating heat as well as nickasil sleeves.

I was running it sunday and found i was only getting about 6250rpms. It kind of seems the stock impeller is a little to steep. Is this possible, or is it not making quite enough power. Stock Impeller looks very nice, no damage.

I remember the exhaust port on the wsm sleeve was not as big as the original port in stock sleeve. Could this possibly be the cause for not peak power output?

Water

Like Morris said its either oil problems or water ingestion!

+1
    Piston looks like it was dry/friction-heated in the bore.
    Hope it's running well now.

Many folks running skis in Belize??

First pto slider was not opening,,

Does this mean that the carb was not opeing the throttle plate? if so you leaned that cylinder,, the other 2 carried it for the ride and with out fuel, and the OIL in the fuel it just scored and seized..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information