Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Computer Help Needed

I was told that I need a new hard drive for my desktop pc! It still works and runs now so my questions are how hard are these to replace? I replaced the power box myself that was just a plug and play. What brand and where to buy would help if this is something that I could do myself? I have carbonite backup on this pc also so how do I transfer the files and stuff from the old one to the new one? I guess that should get us started more questions to come iam sure!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by oklagp1200r View Post
    I was told that I need a new hard drive for my desktop pc! It still works and runs now so my questions are how hard are these to replace? I replaced the power box myself that was just a plug and play. What brand and where to buy would help if this is something that I could do myself? I have carbonite backup on this pc also so how do I transfer the files and stuff from the old one to the new one? I guess that should get us started more questions to come iam sure!
    I've never used carbonite myself, but as for brands, they're all pretty much the same IMO these days. They all come with at least a 30day no hassle return policy and 1 year warranty min.

THe first thing you would need to find out is what kind of interface it uses. I'm assuming SATA. If it is, they're super easy to install and most already come pre windows formatted. Are you simply adding on an HD to your computer or are you replacing your main drive because if you are....this can be a lot of work if you've never done this before.

+1
    replacing or adding a drive is way easier than a power supply. Problem with replacing a drive is the data on your existing. Most of the manufactures will give you the software to copy everything from old drive to the new one.

A good 500gb sata drive runs about $60 on sale. Seagate and Western Digital are the most consumer friendly.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbtd View Post
    replacing or adding a drive is way easier than a power supply. Problem with replacing a drive is the data on your existing. Most of the manufactures will give you the software to copy everything from old drive to the new one.
    That's 98% of people's frustration right there. So if he's replacing the main drive, he'll need to think of what's important and and not and back it all up.

A power supply install is much easier.

+1
    It's the main drive in the pc tower! Carbonite backup always backsup the computer on startup each time. I use it just in case a crash or another faliure like a virius which happened before and caused me to loose some very important pictures! Might be able to replace it then contact carbonite to replace everything maybe will have to check with them. Where's a good place to purchase the new hard drive at?

+1
    Newegg.com

If the old drive is still working (just acting up) install the new drive as a secondary drive. Then get a copy of Norton Ghost (or something similar) and clone the new drive from the old one. Unplug the old drive, reboot, and you are done.

On note: Make sure which drive is which when cloning drives. If you get it wrong, you will have two clean drives and will lose all info on the old drive.

+1
    This is what's going on guys we used one of those on line computer service companys to try to get windows xp service pack 2 installed and this guy spent hours with no luck and told us that he thought the hard drive was bad or going bad so that why I asked about how hard it was to replace! I and my son don't see how the hard drive is bad or going bad because I have no problems with the computer except I need service pack 2 installed so that I can update my virus software. Sorry I didn't share this from the begining!

+1
    Their easy to install. To prevent this problem again do what most do and run multi drive setups. I run a smaller 160gb drive for the OS and programs and a 1tb drive for video/pics/music. That way if your OS is corrupted or you get a virus all your files are safe.

I dont see how it could be your hard drive because SP2 wont install, thats a software issue. If your computer still boots and the OS loads then the drive itself is working, imo anyway.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sfackett0 View Post
    I dont see how it could be your hard drive because SP2 wont install, thats a software issue. If your computer still boots and the OS loads then the drive itself is working, imo anyway.
    +1
    Install the most recent version(4.5 I think) of MS installer & retry the SP2 installation. I was having fits the other day trying to install Mcafee onto my wife's computer because the installation kept crashing. It turned out there was an error from MS installer. Loading the most recent version fixed the problem.

If you still want to get a new drive, first look to see if your computer uses a SATA or IDE interface like another poster mentioned. Changing out a HDD is cake. Some cases have a quick removal system where you can press down on the tabs & slide it out, otherwise they will be held in place with a couple screws.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information