questions about s/c drive

hello all, first post. im a honda civic enthusiast and was playing around on ebay and saw a sea doo super charger, then saw that the sea doo engine was 1500 cc...hmm... pretty close to my engine size.

well before i put too much though into all this i have one kind of important question. imm assuming the s/c is directly gear driven off the crank. if so what are the sizes of the crankshaft gear and s/c gear, i need this to figure out the rpms it takes to get these things up to power.

thank you very much

oh could i maybe get a build thread so i can look at the mounting and lubrication of these things

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cmgreen50 View Post
    hello all, first post. im a honda civic enthusiast and was playing around on ebay and saw a sea doo super charger, then saw that the sea doo engine was 1500 cc...hmm... pretty close to my engine size.

well before i put too much though into all this i have one kind of important question. imm assuming the s/c is directly gear driven off the crank.

Correct..

if so what are the sizes of the crankshaft gear and s/c gear,

I dont know the accual Ratios But they have 16 and 17 tooth gears depending on what size engine they are on....

i need this to figure out the rpms it takes to get these things up to power.

thank you very much

RPMS???Depends on what size wheel you plan on running...A Stock Wheel will do anything around 7 LBS of boost,and the bigger Scer whells can do in access of 18 LBS of boost..RPMs are anywhere from 8100 to 9000

oh could i maybe get a build thread so i can look at the mounting and lubrication of these things

Welcome to GH..

Mounting is by three bolts directly to the block and they are centrifically lubed except fot the newer models..they have a seperate oiler..

NOW if your planning on putting this into a car im gonna move this thread to the general discution section...Thanks

thank you very much, i apologize if this is in the wrong forum

if these make power at 8000 rpm i will need to mulitply the drive wheel size by about 3 mabye more... so how many teeth are on the crank shaft, as i will need to mulitply that number to get boost in the desired powerband.

after this comes lubrication then mounting... currently the only s/c offered for our cars is a roots type blower by jackson racing. but they are discontinued and expensive. should make a fun project

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    i forget the ratio, but it's around 5:1 the sc spins around 45000 rpm at WOT.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by addicted View Post
    i forget the ratio, but it's around 5:1 the sc spins around 45000 rpm at WOT.
    +1.
    5.2:1 ratio.

hmm...so thecrank sprocket has 5.2 times more teeth than the s/c sprocket and it has full boost at 8000? so im gonna gave to gear it down even more for a useable street powerband... thats gonna be a big effing sprocket turning this thing...

+1
    If max rpms is 8000 then yes that would be full boost, the faster you spin it the more boost you'll get. You would be better off removing all gears and slip washers and making it belt drivin. IMO get an X charger convert it to a belt drive and spin the heck out of it

here a support plate use to hold the supercharger when working on it. BUT you could use it for a mounting bracket

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=314

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    just go with a turbo, much easier than to use one of the seadoo chargers, you wont be able to make it belt driven cause the tension of the belt will eventually make the wheel have a touchdown,

when the charger is on place on a seadoo there is not much tension on it, because its fixed and its belt driven therefore ther is no stress.

The lubrication is centrifugal, if you wanted to replicate this it will be one hard job, the oil is being splashed onto the shaft inside the engine.

+1
    It would be quite a bit of work to convert a Sea Doo supercharger to automotive use because of the shaft/clutch/gear/oiling issues. Other companies do make superchargers for Hondas and other imports ... check this link at Procharger for some of their import car supercharger systems:

http://www.procharger.com/SPORT_COMP..._compact.shtml

Thread Information