Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Ultra 260 vs. FZR revisited

So after the ride we had to day I thought I would further comment on the discussion of the 260 vs. the FZR. I have a moderately modified fzr capable of almost 80mph in calm water and a stock 260x that runs 67-68mph. A friend and I went riding in the ocean today and then came back to the lake for an extended "flush". so we had a good chance to compare the two boats in two different conditions back to back. First the ocean. Many were arguing the ability of the fzr to compete with the ultra in the rough in a previous thread. After riding both skis and switching riders over the course of the day at no point was my 78mph fzr able to keep up with my stock ultra260 regardless of who was on it.Both my friend and myself are pretty equal in ability. It was a very windy 3-4ft chop. The fzr would pull in the few times it would find a flat spot or lighter chop but every stretch in between the ultra just pulled out farther and over the course of each run the ultra consistentally gained more separation. On to the lake. This wasnt close at all. From a dead stop the ultra would hang to about thirty as the fzr struggled to keep the pump from cavitating. Then bye bye. Around the bouys the ultra did ok and with more mods and a fair shot in equal mods I am pleased with the handling on both equally. The fzr definately gets the nod on the tighter stuff. I think the difference in the two boats is exactly as I expected and pretty clear. The fzr will have a hard time ever competing with the ultra in the big stuff and the ultra will never compete with the fzr in big speed. Many of the members on this forum already know this. If you want an offshore boat get an ultra. You wanna be the fastest guy on the lake get an fzr.

Thats a real world test and i agree 100%.

Whats up with FZR and cavitation?Everyone is complaining.No solution yet?

Thank you. So fzr only in flat lakes? Not in any kind of sea. Due to there is no sea without chop!

No real surprise, but I would think Stock FZR vs. stock 260X would be close on flat water.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by creativepuzzle View Post
    No real surprise, but I would think Stock FZR vs. stock 260X would be close on flat water.

There are real close. I think compared to every other ski on the market the fzr is a decent boat for the ocean and chop. But the ultra is not every other boat. No comparison for the chop. I love my fzr and it is awesome for what it is designed for, i think great in c/c and lakes for speed. And as far as the cavitation goes it is the pump. The yamaha pump just cant handle the hp the engine is capable of . JD1 has done a seadoo pump conversion and I am looking at kawi and seadoo pump alternatives. I absolutely love both boats but as I have said before the ocean is what I love the most and the ultra is the boat I can't be without. Each boat will fit different people better.

People are also mistaken with the capability of the ultra. Yes 75+ is tough but to get the fzr or the ultra to a solid 71-72 stage 1 type of speed is just as easy with either and this is all the further most enthusiasts take their mods.

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH. View Post
    There are real close. I think compared to every other ski on the market the fzr is a decent boat for the ocean and chop. But the ultra is not every other boat. No comparison for the chop. I love my fzr and it is awesome for what it is designed for, i think great in c/c and lakes for speed. And as far as the cavitation goes it is the pump. The yamaha pump just cant handle the hp the engine is capable of . JD1 has done a seadoo pump conversion and I am looking at kawi and seadoo pump alternatives. I absolutely love both boats but as I have said before the ocean is what I love the most and the ultra is the boat I can't be without. Each boat will fit different people better.
    Time to build a Yamasaki...put the Yammi motor into the Ultra hull.......

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip'nTear SHO View Post
    Time to build a Yamasaki...put the Yammi motor into the Ultra hull.......

haha.....I already have too many projects but trust me it has crossed my mind.

btw I really want to test an FX in the chop. got one??

+1
    Very nice report. Probably one of the most unbiased I have read yet. Thanks for taking the time to report.

Doug

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH. View Post
    haha.....I already have too many projects but trust me it has crossed my mind.

btw I really want to test an FX in the chop. got one??
    Yes...I do actually....when i come to Tampa to pick up my ski....maybe you can make it out and ride wth us.........

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip'nTear SHO View Post
    Yes...I do actually....when i come to Tampa to pick up my ski....maybe you can make it out and ride wth us.........

Let's do it. I am up to ride anytime.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information