Thread: Advice Needed

Advice Needed

I own a 3 seater Polaris 780SLT

Ive current got a bunk trailer design, I'm thinking about converting it to a roller trailer but im getting mixed views on doing the conversion

Some people say it easier to use the ski with bunks, but im guessing if im on my own lauching the ski the rollers would make my life eqiser

Any views on this guys??

Any good USA sites that do this convo??

thanks
    neil

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    There have been a few threads on roller bunk conversions.

The main issue is that you must latch the bow eye to the winch strap every time you launch or recover. The rollers have so little friction that the ski will just slide backwards unless the winch strap is holding it.

That can make re-loading the ski a little tricky, if there is just yourself. With carpeted bunks, you can often ride onto the bunks, and friction will hold it in place while you get off the ski and go forward to attach the bow strap. Not with roller bunks, the ski will slide back as soon as you kill the power.

There are some 'remote release' bow eye latches that can be used to hold and release the ski, but not many folks seem to use them. The 2010 SeaDoo trailers have a rather slick remote release bow latch system

If you continue to use carpeted bunks, you can use a product like Liquid Rollers, which is a form of silicone lube spray. I have used it, and it does reduce bunk-hull friction. It has to be re-applied fairly often (every few weeks?), or the bunks return to their previous high friction state.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    There have been a few threads on roller bunk conversions.

The main issue is that you must latch the bow eye to the winch strap every time you launch or recover. The rollers have so little friction that the ski will just slide backwards unless the winch strap is holding it.

That can make re-loading the ski a little tricky, if there is just yourself. With carpeted bunks, you can often ride onto the bunks, and friction will hold it in place while you get off the ski and go forward to attach the bow strap. Not with roller bunks, the ski will slide back as soon as you kill the power.

There are some 'remote release' bow eye latches that can be used to hold and release the ski, but not many folks seem to use them. The 2010 SeaDoo trailers have a rather slick remote release bow latch system

If you continue to use carpeted bunks, you can use a product like Liquid Rollers, which is a form of silicone lube spray. I have used it, and it does reduce bunk-hull friction. It has to be re-applied fairly often (every few weeks?), or the bunks return to their previous high friction state.
    I see what your saying my current bunks are a rubber/ plastic item, not carpet

Thread Information