Thread: 155hp---> 215hp

+1

155hp---> 215hp

Is it as straight forward as it appears to me, that to upgrade a 155 to 215hp or 255hp (other than pistons) you're only looking at a 215 (or 255) blower fitment and ECU change (injs?).. or is there something I'm missing?

+1
    it may sound simple , just slap on a blower and you are good to go... and in a way it is!!! however to actually do it is very expensive cuz alot of parts need to be retrofitted besides the blower. it has been discussed many times, and the end conclusion is alway the same... sell teh 155 and buy an already built 215 or 255.
    the cost and hassle of reinventing the wheel, just doesnt make any sense.
    enjoy the 155 for what its worth, its no slug... or let the girlfriend ride it and you get yourself a 255.
    the 155 will be bulletproof for many yrs and is a good ski to learn how to use and maintain a PWC, better to learn on this one than a 255.
    less expensive if you screw something up, and not as easy to kill yourself on...

+1
    Thanks for the reply.
    I meant 185, not 155.. my bad - Starting with supercharged base engine.
    I'm looking at a 215 with the intent on modifing it.
    Was looking from the angle that it seems a waste to buy a 215 to throw away all the parts which make it differ from a 185, ie blower, ecu. injs, pistons etc as I'll be replacing them with aftermarket parts.
    I used to own a workshop building racecars and engines and have been tuning EFI for 10+ years, so the mechanical side of things is no issue, I'm just new to the 4-Tec engine - always had 2 smokers.
    Going to have to learn pretty quick as a mate has just brought a 215 (hence why I now want to get into one) with a dropped valve and I'll be building the engine for that over Xmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    I meant 185, not 155.. my bad - Starting with supercharged base engine.
    I'm looking at a 215 with the intent on modifing it.
    Was looking from the angle that it seems a waste to buy a 215 to throw away all the parts which make it differ from a 185, ie blower, ecu. injs, pistons etc as I'll be replacing them with aftermarket parts.
    I used to own a workshop building racecars and engines and have been tuning EFI for 10+ years, so the mechanical side of things is no issue, I'm just new to the 4-Tec engine - always had 2 smokers.
    Going to have to learn pretty quick as a mate has just brought a 215 (hence why I now want to get into one) with a dropped valve and I'll be building the engine for that over Xmas.
    i have done this and it not worth the effeort to me in the end i just dida moto sawp..

the SC is diffrent the wheel is diffent so if you try to put the 215 SC on the 185 you find it will eat up the teeth, ther is a diffrence in the amout of teeth on the 185 gear also the pistons are difftent also and then your ECU is programend diffrent.. it was for me a waste oftime half way in i just did a moto swap.. and it was faster and painless..

the end ruslts were not the much diffrent belive it or not just a better plat form to build on speed wise.
    not much diff.. than my 185 top speed..

i can say the gas was going faster

just me 2 cents on this

All true.

Flywheel is bigger teeth-wise, and you need to put a 16 tooth wheel on the charger.

The charger is slightly different too.

Elecrics/-onics need some attention too.

To change the Flywheel, you are better taking the engine out, so it seems a good ided to drop a 215 block in, and px the old block to off-set it all.

And this is the easy bit.!!

+1
    Also fuel pressure is higher> need a regulator from a 215

+1
    OK, I'l play devill's advocate. I enjoyed swapping my 185 to a 215/255, or whatever it is now...

If you have the experience and patience, the swap can be harmless and worth it. These guys are right. The swap will require several parts:

215 pistons/pins
    new piston rings
    215 ECU + BUDS hookup
    215 (58 lb) fuel pressure regulator
    new head gasket
    new pto gasket
    215 double-row gear (flywheel)
    215 supercharger (with proper number of teeth on gear)
    Couple tools (cam locking, etc)

I did this with the help of Mike (EngineerMike)...Actually, he did it while I handed him the tools and asked questions. It took several hours and not too pain staking. Research "JPEConsult's 185 Build". Its in there somewhere, dated around January 20, 2009.

Place some "wanted" ads in the classifieds for the fuel pressure regulator, pistons, ECU, flywheel, OEM 215 supercharger and tools and get some good deals.

If you opt for this route, I would upgrade to the 255 ECU, fuel pressure reg, supercharger and 42 lb injectors. Actually, the 255 fuel pump runs on a different voltage, so that may require slight research first.

--Jeremy

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpeconsult View Post
    OK, I'l play devill's advocate. I enjoyed swapping my 185 to a 215/255, or whatever it is now...

If you have the experience and patience, the swap can be harmless and worth it. These guys are right. The swap will require several parts:

215 pistons/pins
    new piston rings
    215 ECU + BUDS hookup
    215 (58 lb) fuel pressure regulator
    new head gasket
    new pto gasket
    215 double-row gear (flywheel)
    215 supercharger (with proper number of teeth on gear)
    Couple tools (cam locking, etc)

I did this with the help of Mike (EngineerMike)...Actually, he did it while I handed him the tools and asked questions. It took several hours and not too pain staking. Research "JPEConsult's 185 Build". Its in there somewhere, dated around January 20, 2009.

Place some "wanted" ads in the classifieds for the fuel pressure regulator, pistons, ECU, flywheel, OEM 215 supercharger and tools and get some good deals.

If you opt for this route, I would upgrade to the 255 ECU, fuel pressure reg, supercharger and 42 lb injectors. Actually, the 255 fuel pump runs on a different voltage, so that may require slight research first.

--Jeremy
    From my research the 215hp uses the same fuel pump as the 255hp. Im not 100% but im thinking the ecu controls the pumps voltage. also dont forget about the intercooler. where is the stock fuel reg located or is it part of the pump?

Thread Information