SLT-X 1050 piston change ?

I have recently started to change out the middle piston on a 1999 slt-x 1050 due to this piston chipping and ring breaking on the top/side. I purchased a SBT piston kit for replacement but they only listed .5mm, 1.mm, and 1.5mm. I chose the .5mm or .02in due to my piston being the stock size of 81mm and figured this to be the closest from what they had to offer. My question is can i just buy a honer tool and open this cylinder up to meet this size or do i need to have it bored out since the piston doesn't fit at the moment. If it does need to be bored out is there any reasonably priced places in/near port saint lucie florida that performs this?

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ron1972 View Post
    I have recently started to change out the middle piston on a 1999 slt-x 1050 due to this piston chipping and ring breaking on the top/side. I purchased a SBT piston kit for replacement but they only listed .5mm, 1.mm, and 1.5mm. I chose the .5mm or .02in due to my piston being the stock size of 81mm and figured this to be the closest from what they had to offer. My question is can i just buy a honer tool and open this cylinder up to meet this size or do i need to have it bored out since the piston doesn't fit at the moment. If it does need to be bored out is there any reasonably priced places in/near port saint lucie florida that performs this?
    You would have to bore it,With it being the middle cyl. it should run fine. Big question.....What caused the chipping ring breakage? got pictures? Normally that will only happen if a ring hung up on a port. When they bore it they should also chamfer the ports. Boring should only run 25.00-30.00 bucks.

thanx for the feedback, i attached picts. the ski just started to lose power when i took it out last and almost locked up at one point. It managed to get me back to the ramp which was a miracle (about 5 miles) when i got it back to the house I notice the compresion on that cylinder checked at about 30psi so i figured it at least needed rings since I could not see the broken piston until i removed the head. I wasn't sure if these polaris cylinder walls could be bored or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    You would have to bore it,With it being the middle cyl. it should run fine. Big question.....What caused the chipping ring breakage? got pictures? Normally that will only happen if a ring hung up on a port. When they bore it they should also chamfer the ports. Boring should only run 25.00-30.00 bucks.
    Not sure where the picts went that i tried to send? Attach files,manage attachments,3 picts loaded and hit submit. try these photo bucket links:
    http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/a...2/DSC01284.jpg
    http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/a...2/DSC01285.jpg
    http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/a...2/DSC01281.jpg
    http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/a...2/DSC01285.jpg
    http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/a...2/DSC01286.jpg

Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar
    You may need to do something about that head. If you don't it will cause you major problems like detonation due to hot spots on the ridges.

Quote Originally Posted by jkindt View Post
    You may need to do something about that head. If you don't it will cause you major problems like detonation due to hot spots on the ridges.
    will grinding it to remove the sharp ridges work? should i take the idications completely out or will I have to worry about changing the dimentional height/shape of the head?

Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ron1972 View Post
    will grinding it to remove the sharp ridges work? should i take the idications completely out or will I have to worry about changing the dimentional height/shape of the head?
    If you open up the head at all you will reduce your compression on that cylinder. It would take specialized equipment to keep things proper, if it can be done at all. You would need to check with Watcom or Sharps Marine or another specialty shop. The best way is to just replace the head. Someone here has got to have an extra that they would be willing to sell you. Look in the classifieds forum. Beerdart may have one or at least know someone who does...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jkindt View Post
    ...The best way is to just replace the head.

Someone here has got to have an extra that they would be willing to sell you...
    Try John Zigler

Polaris PWC Parts Sources

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

dome

don't run that dome,get another one.if there isn't any ridges or pits to the cylinder wall you could just clean it with acid and hone and run a stock bore piston.is it a stock bore or been rebuilt already.i'm more curious as to why the danaged piston.could be the carb screen clogged,ran lean,exhuast port got hot and snagged the ring.

Thread Information