100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1

Anybody in S Florida tinker with 650sx 1986

south florida
    looking for some hands on help fixing this tempermentle(sp) -no shops please
    1986 650sx standup
    runs to 3000 rpm and dies like i hit the kill button
    pm please ,, i also have lots of 550 parts/hulls motors to give to some helpers..
    just pick a time and day ,and i will bring the snow crabs
    thanks guys
    mattman

I have a 92 650SX doing the same thing. I can still get full rpm though. Mine will sometimes shut down after an hour of use, or after 10 seconds of use. I have eliminated the carb as the problem and am now leaning toward the crank seals. I've gone over everything I could think of, water getting the fuel lines somewhere, bad fuel lines, bad impulse hose, carb cleaning, intake gaskets and so far no difference. I had the engine apart last spring and gave it a honing along with a few mods, at the time I put in a new top end gasket kit too and it ran for a couple of hours on the first time out. It wasn't until the second trip out that it started doing that.

The only thing I didn't do was separate the bottom end. This is why I strongly believe that the crank seals are the reason. They have to be rotten to a point that they expand too easily and too far when they get the slightest bit of friction. A couple of things I noticed are that the ski will run perfectly if you fog the berries out of the engine, all that fogging oil acts as a temporary sealer but once it ran out the air spaces were exposed giving that problem. The other thing I noticed is that I can't tune my carb, it doesn't respond to any adjustments anymore. I have read too that the contacts inside the electrical box will make this happen too if any water found it's way inside there. If you happen to dive into an engine removal, do me a favor and check your crank seals and tell me if I'm right? Hope you get it sorted out because they are a fun little ski...more so when you mod them a little bit

+1

Cool

see if your losing spark,could be bad stator also look at check valve on fuel tank could be restricted

cd

A bad stator? Really? Any ideas of how to tell for sure, and would the stator have that effect of not being able to tune in the carb? I never thought of it being that but right now I'm open to any ideas as well.

+1

Cool

on your ski I would check start/stop switch.it can be taken apart(just be careful you'll see what I mean) if boot is crack could be problem

cd

I know what you mean lol. I checked that too and forgot to mention that I bought an aftermarket carb too with the same results. I might dig into it this weekend and go over the whole thing again. If all of the mechanical components check out then I'll have to start considering electrical. I kinda want a Dale's Bad Attitude CDI for it anyway so if anyone has one they want to sell in a little while feel free to let me know.

+1

Cool

have you advanced the timing? -after you install new seal that is

cd

No sir. Timing and all but the coil is stock. The coil is just an ArielTek (WSM) replacement. It was on there when I bought the ski.

Thread Information