Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Thumbs down Engine Problem, top speed RPM lost

Got an engine problem, well so I think I do.

Just ran my ski and lost tons of power.
    When first started all was okay, and then I attempted to do a top speed run and took a really long time to reach 69mph (usually gets there really quick). Then I noticed my RPM drop from 8000 to 7800. Then when slowed down I noticed that the engine noise at idle has changed dramatically.
    Turned off the ski and started to inspect the engine compartment, nothing visibly wrong. Decided to put the cover back on and head home, since I didn’t see anything at the moment, but on my way back home, my engine almost stalled and at that moment the engine sound changed again….RPM dropped form 7800 to 6500, top speed is 54……and thins is constant.

I have no idea where to start to check what’s wrong with the engine. I’m suspecting the SC might be out what you all think?

Sounds like SC.

+1
    Yeah thats what I was thinking too, but I only have 25 hours on the ski.

+1
    I have seen skis with less than 10 hours have the ceramic clutch washers disentegrate.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawk
    but I only have 25 hours on the ski.
    unfortunately that really has no relevance but i know it sucks to have a problem with such little hours.

find a GOOD dealer, a dealer that knows what they are doing... ur probably gonna need new covers and oil pumps and a supercharger rebuild.

+1
    Too bad my dealer sucks A$$....but he is the only one in the area....so I gave them a call, and the good thing is, they can take it in today.

Will this be part of the warranty?

+1
    Should I go with the metal washers?

+1
    It will be covered under warranty, but they will not buy the metal washers for you. You will have to do it and bring the washers to them.

Lucky escape - maybe?

Blackhawk,
    Your post is ringing bells with our situation!
    We have an RTX with 90 hours.
    We just had it serviced and tested it at a lake 'cos I could see it was overfilled and these things are easier to address on calm water (we normally run in the sea).
    Our initial runs were getting only 7800 - we normally always get 8100 - and the performance, I would say was "soft" - not the normal punch on acceleration, but nothing really serious
    I took out some oil - to get to 1/2 way between the marks and the revs slowly returned to 8100 and stayed there without any further issues that day. I put the troubles down to the overfill. It was in my mind that once before - about a six months ago - we could only get 7800 for a short time, but again it went away within few minutes and we forgot all about it. Until now, we never had a problem again. I think it was our first run of the season and I put it down to old feul flushing through the system.
    Anyway, this time the issue bothered me. I had been thining about changing to metal washers so I pulled the inlet tube to check the clutch.
    I found I could turn the impellor by hand - it was not complteley loose, and took some force to do it - but no doubt you could move it by hand!
    It's in the cealer being looked at now under waranty.
    I think this may be a case of a worn-out (rather than disintegrated), clutch but our sysmptoms are scarily similar to yours prior to total loss of booost (6000 rpm). I would say to anyone, check your clutch slip immediatley if ever you are limited to 7800 rpm - even if it returns to 8100 after warm-up and runs OK for hours after.
    We just might have had a lucky escape here.

+1
    bic1 send me and email again when my knee heels will try and meet you before the end of the season i sprained my knee monday out on the ski hit a monster wave and in turn hit me thought id broke my leg.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information