Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

MSX 110 Kill Switch

Hi, I'm new here and new to Polaris. I just bought a 2004 MSX 110. It's a beautiful machine and I got a great deal on it. The second time out the kill switch quit working. I need to know where I can buy a new kill switch for it. I tried to remove just the kill switch but it doesn't look like it comes out by itself. Any help y'all can provide will be appreciated. I'm from Jacksonville, N. C. and live on the New River. I mounted a cooler with rod holders on it on the back of my ski and went out to Bear inlet to fish for Red Drum. The inlet is to shallow to get out with a boat but the ski goes in real skinny water. I went out the inlet and anchored on a sand bar and fished in the surf. I can't go back until I get this kill switch fixed. Thanks again. Harleyboy

Kill switch

If you mean the handlebar lanyard assy, I have a good used one for $70.00
    [email protected]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12-9-09 005.jpg 
Views:	590 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	163092  
    Last edited by Watcon; 12-10-2009 at 11:17 AM. Reason: add photo

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

There are two engine shut down methods. The Start/Stop push button, and the safety lanyard switch.

Does one stop the engine, but not the other?

The MSX 110 and MSX 150 Stop switch is different than the MSX 140 switch, so you must get the correct replacement part number (Polaris switch assembly 2410381).

Your switch is normally closed when the tether is installed, so it sounds like the internal switch contacts have shorted together.

Keddano on here might have a spare MSX 150 Stop switch left over from his MSXtreme project
    MSX Project-Coming Soon

BTW, be careful when riding is shallow water. If you ingest silt or sand through the jet pump, the material also gets pumped into the engine cooling circuit. Your Weber engine has a water-to-water heat exchanger for the engine itself, but it also injects raw water into the exhaust system to cool the exhaust flow.

If you suspect there might be silt or sand already in there, you may want to flush out the heat exchanger system, and inspect the mesh filter and restriction orifice in the exhaust pipe.

Some owners have installed an aftermarket flow-through filter in-line with the cooling water inlet, so they can see if the filter has caught material, and easily clean it out.

Take the time to read up on the known maintenance and repair issues with your Weber engined Polaris.

Polaris MSX 150, MSX 110
    with Weber 4-stroke engines

2004 MSX 110 or MSX 150 4-stroke Weber engined Polaris, click here.

How to repair a stiff or jammed Reverse lever on Virage, MSX, Genesis
    Relieves the binding inside the reverse handle mechanism

How many running hours on your machine so far?
    Has it been used in salt water?

Sealed MSX through-hull driveshaft bearing assembly PN 1350091
    How to check for leaks at the MSX through-hull bearing
    Recommended replacement/rebuild of MSX through-hull seals is every 100 hours or 3 years (especially in salt water)
    How to remove the MSX drive shaft
    How to remove and replace the MSX seals and bearing
    Polaris MSX through-hull bearing support carrier rebuild kit is PN 2858113
    Generic replacement bearing is a 6205.
    The inner seal is 25 x 52 x 10 (substituted with generic 25x52x7)
    The two outer seals are 25x35x10 (substituted with generic 25x35x7)

Thanks

Thanks Watcom that's exactly what I need and am glad to do business with you. Also thanks to K447 for all the great info. I'm sure I'll need all the information on this ski that I can get. Harleyboy

I'm lost now

Well, I replaced the handlebar lanyard assy and that wasn't the problem. Now I'm lost. I would love to fix this myself and not take it to the dealer if I can. After I replaced it I cranked it up and tried the kill button and nothing. It kept running and started to rev itself up. I had to unplug the two wire connections off the top of the motor to shut it down. HHHEEELLLPPPPPP Please. Harleyboy

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by harleyboy View Post
    Well, I replaced the handlebar lanyard assy and that wasn't the problem. Now I'm lost. I would love to fix this myself and not take it to the dealer if I can.

After I replaced it I cranked it up and tried the kill button and nothing. It kept running and started to rev itself up.

I had to unplug the two wire connections off the top of the motor to shut it down...
    Out of the water, ALWAYS put it in Reverse before starting the Weber engine. The Weber turbo engine can self rev without the water load. Reverse engages the RPM limiter, so the engine will not rev so wildly

What diagnosis of the switch assembly have you done?
    Did you test the original switch before you decided to replace it?

Are you familiar with electrical diagnostics?

Have you looked at the wiring diagram for this model?

+1
    This fault has been attributed to the SIFB in the past. If all other trouble shooting fails suspect this module. Best bet is to borrow one and try it out. Just unplugs.

Cheers

SIFB?

Can you explain what the SIFB module is and where it is. I appreciate your help. Thanks. Harleyboy

Hi K447, I didn't check the kill switch before I replaced it, but the only problem I was experiencing was it not cutting off. It was so obvious that it was the kill switch I didn't even try to read a short across it. When I started trying to remove the kill button from the lanyard assembly the button didn't seem like it wanted to push in so I assumed it was the button. My bust. I'm glad to know that it revving up is the turbo and not another problem. I'll make sure it's in reverse everytime it's cranked out of the water. I'm not to good with electrical diagnostics but I'll enlist a friend that is. Thanks. Harleyboy

+1
    Do you have a copy of the manual?

Here is an extract explaining the SIFB. I have read posts where this has failed in the run position and the craft would not turn off.

System Interface Box (SIFB)
    The primary function of the SIFB is to power--down the ignition system in the event that the lanyard is left inserted
    in the stop switch for more than two minutes. Without the SIFB, the ignition system would remain powered--up
    by the battery, and the battery would completely discharge.
    A secondary function of the SIFB is to convert the reverse switch signal so the ECU can interpret the signal when
    the reverse switch is closed, thereby limiting engine RPM.
    How It works
    The SIFB will disconnect the ECU ignition circuit and go
    into the “sleep” mode in the event that the lanyard is left
    installed in the stop switch for more than two minutes. This
    also holds true whenever the operator pushes the stop button
    momentarily while the engine is running.
    In the event that the operator removes the lanyard from the
    stop switch while the engine is running, the SIFB does
    nothing.
    To power--up the ECU after the SIFB has entered the
    “sleep” mode, the operator must re--insert (if removed) the
    lanyard into the stop switch, and press the start button.
    NOTE: The SIFB remains in the mode in which it
    was put into by the operator’s last action. For example,
    the SIFB will allow the ECU to power--up immediately
    when the lanyard is installed if the operator’s
    last action was removing the lanyard to kill the
    engine.
    Conversely, if the operator’s last action was leaving
    the lanyard in the stop switch for more than two
    minutes or stopping the engine by pushing the stop
    button, the ECU will not power--up until the SIFB
    “sees” a start signal generated by the operator
    pushing the start button.
    SIFB Diagnostics Mode
    There will be situations where a user will want to defeat the sleep mode function of the SIFB. One such situation
    is when a technician is connected to the ECU with the Digital Wrench diagnostic software program.
    To enter the SIFB diagnostic mode, follow these steps:
    1. Insert the lanyard into the stop switch, and start the engine. Stop the engine by removing the lanyard.
    2. Wait for15 seconds, then re--insert the lanyard. Quickly push the STOP button three times within the first
    three seconds, then tap the START button.
    The SIFB is now in the diagnostics mode. Power will be supplied to the ECU for as long as the lanyard remains
    installed.
    To exit the diagnostics mode, remove the safety lanyard from the STOP switch and wait for at least 15 seconds.
    NOTE: To verify the ignition system is powered--up after inserting the lanyard into the stop switch,
    move the throttle flipper from full closed to full open while the engine is off. The throttle plate can
    always be heard moving with the flipper movement when the ignition system has power.

Cheers

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information