Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Possibly more free speed

I read a post on the Polaris forum about them using TWO 4 degree wedges on some machines ... Well, since I installed the RE blockoffs on my RXP, I cannot get it to porpoise no matter what I do, so I wondered ... I only have a 2 degree wedge on it now; since it is so stable, could we gain 1+ mph with more wedge?? Initially try two 2 degree wedges (may have to do a little work to seal them up good) and see how that works? I know the GPR runs a 5 degree up angle on the stock nozzle - not sure what, if any, angle we have on our stock RXP nozzles, but we all know the RXP runs with a lot more hull in the water than the GPR. We might be able to gain some speed with more wedge, IF you are running the RE blockoffs. Just a thought, should be relatively easy to try ... anybody have two Riva wedges??

+1
    I would be real interested in your findings if you tested this.

RE's work great huh Vern?

+1
    I would have to buy another wedge and get it up to MI to test, was hoping someone else might have a spare wedge already. But if nobody else is interested, I will buy another wedge and try to give it a whirl before I pull the ski out for the year.

The REs ARE the Bomb!! I am still amazed at how well they work. EVERYBODY should have them!! I can go flat out WOT with 3 dudes on my silly RXP ... and NO Porpoising. They work ... and don't scrub speed either.

+1
    I ve got two wedges on mine. hole shot suffers and top end is about 1-2mph slower than with one wedge.But the Racoon tale is the nuts six foot high and a round 40 foot long You may have to repitch prop to get max rpms on full trim.

Legend in my own mind Sirhc7897's Avatar
    See i knid of wondered about this:

On the Polaris skis a 4 wedge is considered stock (or almost no wedge if you will) as that's how it came from the factory...

Now we routinely add 2-4 degrees of wedge in addition to that to gain some cheap speed (usually at the expense of hookup but some of us with triple piped skis find it gets the nose out of the water becasue the triple drain into a nose mounted collector and add a lot of weight to the front of the ski)...

So in thinking about it like that...the 2 wedge for the RXP would be the rough equivalent to the 6 wedge for a Polaris...The bigger bodied skis in the Polaris line (MSX, Genesis, etc.) used to benefit from this but the smaller SL series skis (SLX, PRO1200, etc...) while gaining speed tendeded to be a handful with a 6 wedge...

another trick we used to use was to go to a Ocean Pro rideplate (longer than stock) which kept the nose down and handled rough better and then use the 6 wedge to lift the nose back out of the water and gain back the lost speed from the longer plate...

Just giving you some background and food for thought...

i know this sounds stupid but what are RE's?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ReDevilRXP
    race engineering opas blockoffs.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ReDevilRXP
    here they are available in jerry's store
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...d646009bf9be2c

I just don't understand the point of trying 2 wedges when guys were getting better speed increases with the 2 degree RIVA wedge over the 2.5 degree R&D wedge.

That tells me that a total of a 4 degree or 5 degree wedge would be a lot worse.

+1
    The testing on 2 degree vs 2.5 degree that I remember was mostly with RXTs not RXPs. The only reason I even wondered about this was due to a new part ... the RE blockoffs and the impact they have on the ski. Anything more than a 2 degree without the REs would cause major porpoising; the REs 'changed everything' with high speed handling. I had no porpoising at 72 mph last year ... this year when I hit 75 - 77 mph, I definitely had porpoising ... until I installed the REs. The difference was night and day. The RXP needs more bow lift, so now that porpoising is completely eliminated with the RE blockoffs, that opens the door to testing what is the optimal angle on the thrust nozzle. Many other fast skis have much more than 2 degrees of nozzle angle ... I will measure a stock RXP nozzle this weekend, but I think our stock nozzle is 0 degrees, altho I won't know until I measure it. If stock is 0 degrees, then once the hull is settled down with the REs, there may be additional speed with additional angle.

Since we now know TopBanana tried this, it sounds like it might not be worth pursuing, however, the RE blockoffs are a significant improvement even over the Riva Pro blockoffs. When a significant new part is introduced, it can change things enough to reconsider previous testing, and the RE blockoffs make that significant a change ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information