12-10-2009, 08:54 PM #1
A Christmas Story: An Update on my 14 Year Old Daughters Tumor
Wanted everyone to know the great news we had today! Last Friday my girl had a surgical biopsy. Bless her heart, her leg was so bad before we found the tumor that she couldn't walk with that leg at all. But the only way to know for sure what it was - was to make a 4" incision and remove a thimble of dead cells for biopsy. More pain on top of pain. We hoped they would remove the whole tumor at the time, but you have to be VERY careful to not disturb what might be potential cancer. There was a pathologist and our surgeon (orthapedic surgeon onocologist) in the OR and they could not determine the exact pathology with a frozen sample. They sewed her back up and we have been "a wreck" for about a week. The most common outcome is a malignant osteo sarcoma.
So, today the biopsy results. She has a benign non-ossifying fibroma. It is an extraordinarily rare tumor (only 1% of kids get bone tumors and only 1% of those are this rare form of benign tumor). It can spontaneously heal itself . It may have been caused by a crack in the bone from her intense soccer gameplay. Worst case, another surgery to remove the tumor - best case we are done.
So why am I sharing this much detail. For a couple of reasons:
- When you think there is no hope, there is hope.
- Prayer works!
- Good friends are critical to support you during these times help, but they really don't know what to say or how to act. You have to help them through it just the same as yourself.
- I learned a lot about cancer. It is not a death sentence. Getting the right specialist is absolutely key and getting there quickly is very important.
- There was a lot of time to reflect upon things during this event and I will never be the same. If you spend all your time in the garage, working on skis and boats (kinda like I did before) instead of spending time with your kids - you are screwin up. They leave us quickly and you can never be sure what might happen. I will still enjoy my toys, but I will be much more balanced in kicking the soccer ball and taking them to a movie. Kiss them every day and tell em you love them.
Kiss your kids ....................tell em you love them!
12-10-2009, 09:00 PM #2
That great news.. Merry Christmas to you and your family.
12-10-2009, 09:04 PM #3
Five Star Clap right there!!!
Great news!!!! With this type of medical stuff, the good news is so far and few between.
This is simply awesome.
12-10-2009, 09:08 PM #4
Congrats Dean! Glad you finally got some good news!
And you nailed it about spending time with your kids. Bad things can happen so fast. Your post definitely made me take a second to make sure my priorities are right. Glad something positive could come out of this for you.
12-10-2009, 09:11 PM #5
So glad to hear the good new and no its not gushy, Show's your a great father and role model for your kids.... Merry Christmas to you and your family....
12-10-2009, 09:22 PM #6
God Bless you brotha!
Merry Christmas !!!
12-10-2009, 10:47 PM #7
You have been blessed. It is wonderful to hear such great news. Merry Christmas to you & your precious daughter & the rest of your family. Your comment about spending time with your kids is one of the main reasons I choose to race with my graduate student son. It allows me to spend lots of time with him, whether he likes it or not.LOL!
12-11-2009, 12:01 AM #8
Dean thanks for the update, that is great news!!!
Merry Christmas and wishing you all the best for 2010.
12-11-2009, 10:09 AM #9
- Join Date
- Apr 2007
- JUST NORTH OF CUBA-- FL,KEYS
Great to hear
I hope you and your family have a much more relaxed Christmas time ...
Love and prayers to all that need it
12-11-2009, 11:31 AM #10
Dean that's fantastic news. I'm so glad everything worked out well for you guys
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By spaceman in forum Open DiscussionReplies: 2Last Post: 12-13-2007, 12:46 PM
By Keddano in forum Polaris Open DiscussionReplies: 7Last Post: 11-27-2007, 09:10 AM
By ryan*9 in forum 2-Stroke PerformanceReplies: 6Last Post: 08-07-2007, 08:54 AM
By Top banana in forum 4-Tec PerformanceReplies: 14Last Post: 08-03-2007, 01:24 PM
By r33pwrd in forum Open DiscussionReplies: 6Last Post: 05-02-2007, 05:03 PM