HELP NEEDED 2002 Polaris Virage TXi MFD

We have replaced the mfd on our 2002 Polaris Virage TXi with a used part. We purchased from a reputable individual, but upon arrival we plugged it in and got nothing. This is the second mfd we have had this response from. Our original display got wet and never would dry out to be readable, it would however light up when plugged in (the LCD was just no good and engine performed poorly with wet gauge).

Is there something we are missing as we have replaced with the exact same OEM part. The seller had no problem getting gauge to come to life on his end. With having already tried one other used gauge (thought with the first replacement that it was the a bad used part) and getting same results we are totally confused on what to do.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Michael Listi

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Have you checked for power between the Red/Purple and Black pins on the MFI wire harness connector?

Check for corrosion, grease, or dirt on the contact pins, or in the connector sockets. Use electrical contact cleaner spray to clean out the sockets and pins.

Did you check the fuse?

How do check for power between the pins? I assume that electrical contact cleaner spray can be picked up at an autoparts store. Is there anything I need to be aware when cleaning so I don't cause any undue harm?

Thank you K447 for responding to my post. I am new to the world of jetskis and you have been very quick to respond to my posts (both past and present) and offer useful knowledge. I hope I can learn more to be able to give back to others along the way.

I will keep you posted on the outcome.

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

The Listis

Thanks for the tip, I will try that out and let you know how it goes.

Michael Listi

Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2boysn2skis View Post
    How do check for power between the pins? I assume that electrical contact cleaner spray can be picked up at an autoparts store. Is there anything I need to be aware when cleaning so I don't cause any undue harm?
    To check for power you must use a multimeter. Make sure it is set to read DC volts and use the probes from the multimeter to check for voltage. Just touch the black probe to the connector for the black wire and the red probe to the connector for the other wire. It is easiest if you unplug the MFD and just poke the probes into the end of the connector, just dont push too hard, you dont want to bend anything. A cheap multimeter is good enough for this measurement.

Contact cleaner is very common at auto parts stores, electronics shops, Radio Shack, etc. And it is quite safe to use because it is meant for sensitive electronic parts. Just be careful around painted surfaces. An old soft toothbrush helps with cleaning electrical connections. Be careful not to bend any pins or connectors.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jkindt View Post
    To check for power you must use a multimeter.

Make sure it is set to read DC volts and use the probes from the multimeter to check for voltage.

Just touch the black probe to the connector for the black wire and the red probe to the connector for the other wire.

It is easiest if you unplug the MFD and just poke the probes into the end of the connector, just don't push too hard, you don't want to bend anything. A cheap multimeter is good enough for this measurement...
    Well said

If you are not familiar with using a multi-meter, read the instructions that come with it. Lots more info online via Google, I am sure.

Start by setting the meter to DC volts, and check the battery voltage. Should read about 12.5 volts, give or take a little.

Then move to the MFI connector. Electricity only goes through metal, so the meter probe tips need to touch the metal socket inserts inside the connector.

It doesn't actually matter which probe you connect to which color wire, but the common practice is to touch the black meter probe to the pin/socket with the black wire coming out the back, and the red probe to the pin/socket with the Red/Purple wire.

On some PWC, the Red/Purple wire (that means Red wire with a Purple stripe) is actually Red/White (Red wire with a White stripe).

Post Same Problem - But where's that fuse?

I have the exact same machine and now have the same problem. We keep it on a hoist and the MFI was fine when we covered it two weeks ago and now it's blank. It starts and runs fine, just no display. I went looking for the fuse and am having a problem finding it. Elsewhere on the site I've seen references to the fuses being inside a black box strapped on top of the battery and my other boat, a 2002 Freedom carb machine, has that with fuses inside. But this injected TXi doesn't have that box. All it has is a small box with two circuit breakers sticking out. I opened that but found that there wasn't even room for a fuse in there, just the two circuit breakers. I've traced all of the wiring harnesses and haven't found a fuse holder inline anywhere. With the fuse being just a quarter amp, it's likely a cartridge type fuse. Anyone know where the fuse holder is located on this boat?

I believe the box is loacted on the cross member under the seat on your ski but I am not sure about that, I just googled it. On my Genesis I the fuse holder is hanging outside the wire harness just below the circuit breakers and starting solenoid. It should be marked. It will be a small black box about 2 inches wide and about 1/4 inch thick.

Fuse Found

Thought that I would share my learnings about the MFI fuse on this boat. I learned that the 2002 wiring is different from the 2001 and earlier models. It does not have the electrical box that most of the earlier ones have. Layout from the parts manual is attached. Instead there are two in-line fuse holders hanging from the harness just in front of the battery. Mine were zip-tied to the small bulkhead just behind the motor on thestarboard side. These fuse holders aren't typical cartridge holders, but are flat 2 X 3 inch modules that look more like sensor connections or solid state ignition modules. A drawing is attached. Name:  2002 Virage TXi MFI Fuse Holder.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  1.7 KB They have a plastic snap on the side and a waterproof corrugated gasket inside to seeal out moisture. One module with a 3 amp fuse appears to be for the bilge pump. The other had a 2 amp mini-blade fuse for the MFI. I replaced that fuse and everything is working again.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2002 Virage TXi Battery Layout.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	252106

Thread Information