Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Tip of the day: Breaking Skat Impeller Loose

I receive a lot of PM's asking how to break the impeller loose. It seems lots of people have trouble with this so i decided to post this for all to see. I will also add this to the SHO library in the sticky's.

With the torque of our engines these impellers can be VERY tight and seem almost impossible to break loose. I can tell you, the more power you make the tighter they will get

Here's how i do mine.

You will want to get a 1 inch six point box end wrench. It fits the Skat impeller tool perfectly. Make sure you get a 6 point wrench. A 12 point can round the tool off. I cut the open end off of my wrench so i could slip a cheater pipe over it.

NOTE: If you use a crescent wrench you risk rounding off the tool.

Slip the impeller impeller tool over the shaft along with the 1" box end wrench.

Put the shaft holding tool onto the shaft and then clamp it down in a vice.
    I like to also throw a rope around the shaft just in case something goes wrong on the vice end the shaft doesn't come flying at you. I have already had one pop out the jaws of the vice and bust my forehead open

Now, position your tool into the impeller, put the wrench on the tool and then slip the cheater pipe down over the wrench. My pipe is 4' long. Pulling down on the pipe breaks the impeller loose with relatively little effort.

Hope this helps some of you guys out!
    Last edited by Green Hulk; 05-24-2010 at 05:57 PM.

+1
    Great write up Jerry

mjh3ides recommended this to me for changing the stock prop on a fzr.

"Use a 27mm 6pt closed end wrench & a breaker bar to remove the stock prop if you want to get it off in good condition. They are torqued on real tight, so an open end or crescent wrench will most likely slip and/or collapse the front of the prop. The prop tool will be included when you buy the aftermarket impeller. If you get a Skat, the prop tools are kind of flimsy, so make sure you use a 1" 6pt closed wrench to torque it on...an open end wrench will easily collapse the tool. The Solas prop tools are real sturdy...I just use a 2' crescent wrench for those."

Note- Its very hard to find a 27mm 6 point box wrench, some have had success with a 12point.

+1
    I have already had one pop out the jaws of the vice and bust my forehead open
    We've also broken the wormgear on the vice trying to hold that nut, quite a few times. Another trick is to put a wrench (is it a 30mm?) on that end-shaft tool, and wedge it BEHIND and UNDER the back of the vice, where it is attached to the table/trailer/hitch/etc...

+1
    Harbor freight sells a 36 inch crecent wrench for 20 bux... It makes prop removal soooo easy its not even funny. Its also perfect for repitching

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkaddict View Post
    Harbor freight sells a 36 inch crecent wrench for 20 bux... It makes prop removal soooo easy its not even funny. Its also perfect for repitching

1+ its about the size of JP..

+1
    I have a 36" crescent too and it will round off and deform skat impeller tools and stock impeller noses easily. When i say they get tight I'm not exaggerating in the least bit. On these SHO/FZ's you WILL screw up the impeller tool if you use a crescent wrench. Been there done that!

On Solas impeller tools a crescent wrench works fine.

Not on a Skat tool. It's too flimsy and will deform and round off.

+1
    Just to confirm, 27mm is the right size for removing the stock fzr prop correct? I didn't find anything in the service manual

A pic says more than a thousand words
    Just to be perfectly clear, you pull in the direction of the arrow to get the impeller off, right?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cheaterpipe.jpg 
Views:	474 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	163358  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by christian gpr View Post
    A pic says more than a thousand words
    Just to be perfectly clear, you pull in the direction of the arrow to get the impeller off, right?
    Yes it is left hand thread.

+1
    After breaking the vise, breaking a cheap 1" box wrench with a cheater pipe, deforming a Skat impeller tool.........and once cracking the nose of an impeller in two places I've learned to heat the hub of the impeller with a heat gun, for 10 minutes or so, allowing the heat to soak down to the threads. Once heated it seems to put up less of a fight

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information