Leaking coolant????

Just had the topend rebuilt with new oem pistons ,headgasket,bearings and all new bolts on my 08 x model and a new rotax racing therm put in and since the first ride out i am loosing about a liter of coolant and draining it out of the drainplugs at the end of the ride when i put it back on the trailer.The motor is running at 86 and thats here in thailand so the motors not overheating and there are no alarms going off.Can anyone help i am afraid i have blwn a head gasket again.

Well I would start off by checking to see if there is any leaking when not running. Next check the more common areas, by the head should be simple because it is towards the top. Next is by the oil cooler under the intake manifold (This is where mine leaked from. I actually lost a clamp here.) Next check where the thermostat is. You replaced this unit. Make sure it is appropriately torqued, also did you replace the gasket?

At a liter per ride you should be able to see it coming from somewhere if you start it on the hose for a little bit.

+1
    The easiest way is to go to any part store and get a pressure tester..Pressurizing the system will help you find the leak while the skis on the trailer and not running..BUT you can Start by checking all your clamps,Then look at the thermostates gasket.Make sure it didnt get pinched during install..

+1
    With the 2 seadoos i have even on my 2008 with 18hr ive see leaks where the hose hook to the ride plate on the inside of the hull. I just tightend the gear clamps and was good to go. If it coolant in the bottom of your hull my guess is loose hose and you have a hole in a hose some where.

+1
    Run your ski on the hose,wait till the thermostat opens ,and coolant starts flowing.
    You will find your leaking hose,might be a loose clamp,or a punctured hose,.
    This works very easy and i guarantee ,you will find the leak.

+1

Smile

I actually found on my 04 GTX SC LTD.(39 hr) that both black plastic pipes (threaded into the ride plate) where 1/4 turn loose. These 2 pipes from the ride plate connect to your cooling hoses from the engine.
    I tightened the pipes and then changed both pinch clamps over to good quality gear clamps.... No leaks...No problem...Good to go!
    Cheers

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GMONEY View Post
    Just had the topend rebuilt with new oem pistons ,headgasket,bearings and all new bolts on my 08 x model and a new rotax racing therm put in and since the first ride out i am loosing about a liter of coolant and draining it out of the drainplugs at the end of the ride when i put it back on the trailer.The motor is running at 86 and thats here in thailand so the motors not overheating and there are no alarms going off.Can anyone help i am afraid i have blwn a head gasket again.
    More than likely you have the hoses on the side of the thermostat crossed.
    The hose coming from the coolant tank goes to the forward most fitting on the side of the thermostat.
    The hose coming from the oil cooler goes on the rear fitting on the side of the thermostat.

This won't cause an overheat but it will cause the coolant to be puked out of the coolant tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    More than likely you have the hoses on the side of the thermostat crossed.
    The hose coming from the coolant tank goes to the forward most fitting on the side of the thermostat.
    The hose coming from the oil cooler goes on the rear fitting on the side of the thermostat.

This won't cause an overheat but it will cause the coolant to be puked out of the coolant tank.
    My moneys on a blown head gasket, check block & head arn't warped. Check torque on head bolts may have a dodgy thread.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    My moneys on a blown head gasket, check block & head arn't warped. Check torque on head bolts may have a dodgy thread.
    I'll take that bet Baden

Quote Originally Posted by GMONEY View Post
    and a new rotax racing therm put in and since the first ride out i am loosing about a liter of coolant
    I can guarantee that when someone put that RR thermostat in they accidentally crossed the hoses up on the side of the thermostat. Leaking a liter of coolant from the first ride out? Oh yea! Gotta be crossed hoses

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    I'll take that bet Baden

I can guarantee that when someone put that RR thermostat in they accidentally crossed the hoses up on the side of the thermostat. Leaking a liter of coolant from the first ride out? Oh yea! Gotta be crossed hoses
    +1. Am I to late to get in on the bet?

Thread Information