Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Oxygen sensor

Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar

Oxygen sensor

Has anyone ever tried to install an automotive oxygen sensor on one of these skis along with a gauge in order to monitor fuel/air mixture? Do standard O2 sensors work in a 2 stroke engine? I know a lot of the import auto racers use these to keep an eye on things when they are adding nitrous, aftermarket turbos, and superchargers. It may be a way to assist in the tuning of our machines. More of a tool than a permanant gauge on the ski. Ideas? Experiences?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Don't know if O2 sensor will work, but I know Beerdart and some others have used an Exhaust Gas Temperature sensor.

The oil in the exhaust will kill the sensor.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cwag911 View Post
    The oil in the exhaust will kill the sensor.
    Yep. And at $75 a piece its EGT or seat o the pants.

Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar
    That is kinda what I was thinking. After all, if something like that would work, we would all have the mod done already!!!

Snowmobile engines that are fuel injected are able to run a O2 sensor and suppossedly get a season out of them. My brother ran one on his sled last year and it worked good. Power Commander makes a programmer box that alters the original ecu fuel map. This year they have a auto-tune feature that uses a O2 sensor to help develope the correct fuel map.

They work OK in snowmobiles, where the exhaust temps are high (keeps the sensor clean), but in a ski, with water being injected into the stream, it's never going to last. Plug chops, piston wash, and seat of the pants is still the best way, IMO. Start fat, and slowly lean it out. I have an LC1 wideband O2 in my supercharged LS2 trailblazer, and its a piece...always has some kind of issue...it would be a total nightmare on a ski IMO. Paid about $250 for it with an LED gauge.

What about a wide band sensor with the heater in it ? Would that not keep it from fowling. But it would have to be up stream of anywhere water it introduced.
    Do a search on " Inovative " on here looks like some guys are using them on other types of ski's

Quote Originally Posted by suparoo View Post
    What about a wide band sensor with the heater in it ? Would that not keep it from fowling. But it would have to be up stream of anywhere water it introduced.
    Do a search on " Inovative " on here looks like some guys are using them on other types of ski's
    That heater isn't hot enough to keep it from getting plugged up...all modern O2 sensors are heated...Yes, you can use them on skis...the 4 stroke supercharged guys use them. Innovate Motorsports is the company that makes the LC1 and LM1. Trying to find a spot to mount one that is upstream of the water, that will work is going to be tough...there really isn't one. Also, it needs to be after the stinger, so its not getting sprayed with raw fuel and air...the readings will be wrong like that.

Here's another thing to think about...what is your target A/F ratio going to be exactly, to keep the motor alive?

I was looking at it for balancing tripple carbs get good wash on one then use it to set the rest the same and then just use it for periodic monitoring of whats going on.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information