Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

C clip on drive shaft????

Heres 1 for you.

Had a lucky escape today really.

My pal was hammering my ski around a CC course and all was looking good untill he hit the throttle after to round the last bouy(lucky part as he was close to the ramp) when the ski just cavitated and would go.

He idled back to the ramp when I saw steam comming from under the seat, took the seat off and found hull upto the charger with water.

Got the ski straight out and knew straight away that my seal had gone as all the water was coming out of the tunnel. OK i thought 120 hour on carbon seal is time for some new parts.

Then I noticed something weird the top hat was missing???

Took the cowl off to have a closer look and found the tophat had slid al the way forward to the PTO and the C clip was missing???

Has any1 else ever seen this?? I can only think the C clip had corroded due to salt water or something and failed letting the top hat move??

So 2 lessons really,

1. Fit a bilge pump, better 2.

2. Check all your drive seal assembly for corrosion and wear.

I normally ride in the sea and had I been out where I normaly ride and not at a lake things could have been far far worse. Luckily my ski is sat in the shed none the worse as the water did not get into the intake atal.

R88

Strange one this.

Normally I have to prod them hard to get them to let go..!!

Usually they lock them selves in, by the recess in the TH, and detent in the shaft.

A mis-fitting one of the past, unknown history perhaps.

Close call though, when it gets to the charger inlet level, it quickly goes all wrong.

+1
    Make sure your motor mounts are tight and not broken.

+1
    Thats it for the winter I think. I need to track down my GIO issues.

I have a parcel on the way to upgrade valvetrain, oil jet ect ect.

I have never heard of this before but I dont think anything else has moved all seemed fine. My intake is done up real tight so that if this does happen water cant get in started the ski when it was empty and all seemed fine she revved up good as gold.

I will give everything a once over now, Think I might have a chat with Jetskibum about 1 of his water bombs Im wondering if I should stick a new set of rings on the pistons??? Keep looking at those shiney riva pistons they look real good and been reading good things about there performance.

R88

well, if the clip broke you should find it in the hull somewhere, likely under the engine. I think it is magnetic so you can retrieve it with an antenna and then examine it. It may be corroded and broken. As said above they are usually corroded and seized to the tophat and shaft.

Bilge pumps are a must, definately a good addition to make. Fortunately he was close to shore.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by R88ory RXP View Post
    Heres 1 for you.

My pal was hammering my ski around a CC course and all was looking good untill he hit the throttle after to round the last bouy(lucky part as he was close to the ramp) when the ski just cavitated and would go.

He idled back to the ramp when I saw steam comming from under the seat, took the seat off and found hull upto the charger with water.

Got the ski straight out and knew straight away that my seal had gone as all the water was coming out of the tunnel. OK i thought 120 hour on carbon seal is time for some new parts.

Took the cowl off to have a closer look and found the tophat had slid al the way forward to the PTO and the C clip was missing???

Has any1 else ever seen this?? I can only think the C clip had corroded due to salt water or something and failed letting the top hat move??

So 2 lessons really,

I normally ride in the sea and had I been out where I normaly ride and not at a lake things could have been far far worse. Luckily my ski is sat in the shed none the worse as the water did not get into the intake atal.

R88

Bilige pump is a must IMO.

Have you removed the c - clip any for driveshaft.
    If so, they recomend that you replace the c - clip every time you remove it. just a thought.

+1
    I know that the shaft has not been out or any of that touched since I had the ski so 2 and half year and around 50 hours use but the shaft had been out as the ski had a SC failure rapaired under warrenty the year before I got it. Im thinking the C clip has to have let go for what ever reason it is the only explination I know im lucky but nothing else seemed to be damaged.

I havent had a chance to look it all over as I had to drive 2m half hour home but the quick assesment I made at the lake left me thanking my lucky stars a bit to be honest.If that C clip is magnectic them its not stainless and is deff going to corrode. R88

+1
    I know that the shaft has not been out or any of that touched since I had the ski so 2 and half year and around 50 hours use but the shaft had been out as the ski had a SC failure rapaired under warrenty the year before I got it. Im thinking the C clip has to have let go for what ever reason it is the only explination I know im lucky but nothing else seemed to be damaged.

I havent had a chance to look it all over as I had to drive 2m half hour home but the quick assesment I made at the lake left me thanking my lucky stars a bit to be honest.If that C clip is magnectic them its not stainless and is deff going to corrode. R88
    When and if you find the c clip let us know what it looks like. I guess after certain amount of hours it needs to be replaced (very cheap part), especially with sea water.

+1

c clip

Heres 1 for you.

So 2 lessons really,

R88
    Same thing happend to my friend we think the pump sucked the carbon steel back with suction then shot the clip out because the orings where worn and made the steel ring loose.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBoost View Post
    Same thing happend to my friend we think the pump sucked the carbon steel back with suction then shot the clip out because the orings where worn and made the steel ring loose.
    Very possible. Something had to relieve the pressure off the hat to allow the clip to come out even if it was broken.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information