Thread: Stage 1 RPM's

Stage 1 RPM's

At the end of the summer I had a Riva 3" intake, Riva intake grate, plate holes filled and resonator eliminated. I am at just under 1000ft. elevation. On a cool day I was turning 8060 to 8160 depending on hookup. This winter I have added a 14/19 and a wedge. My question is can I turn the 14/19? I have a full stage 1 now, but I was only turning around 8100 before the prop and wedge, and I don't see the wedge adding RPM's. Did everyone else turn 8100 with a stage 1? Does the 14/19 really lower your RPM's that much? I don't plan on anymore mods soon (we know how that goes) except some block-offs and a thru hull. Maybe not until next winter.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by antoniodef View Post
    At the end of the summer I had a Riva 3" intake, Riva intake grate, plate holes filled and resonator eliminated. I am at just under 1000ft. elevation. On a cool day I was turning 8060 to 8160 depending on hookup. This winter I have added a 14/19 and a wedge. My question is can I turn the 14/19? YES.....I have a full stage 1 now, but I was only turning around 8100 before the prop and wedge, and I don't see the wedge adding RPM's. Nope, Not much if any.....Did everyone else turn 8100 with a stage 1? With a little tweeking YES you will want to see 810o RPM....Does the 14/19 really lower your RPM's that much?It may till you adjust the trailing edge.. I don't plan on anymore mods soon (we know how that goes) except some block-offs and a thru hull. Maybe not until next winter.
    YES!!You can easily turn a 14/19r prop...The 14/19r prop is the prop to use for a Riva Stage 1 setup..You may have to do a little tweeking to the trailing edge to acheive 8100 on the tach...

+1
    14/19R is the impeller you want for your ski. At 8160 you are on the rev limiter.

I thought the limiter was 8200. That would probably explain why I can't turn 8160 consistently. It would always drop down when I got that high. As far as tweaking the prop...maybe that will give me a reason for a few more mods! Thanks for the help!

+1
    The hard limiter is 8200. You will never see that on the tach. It will kick you down before you see that. Running up against the limiter like you are doing is dangerous. The ECU starts to cut fuel and your engine is running lean.

+1
    If you have been running it like that on the limiter for very long then you better check your bell on your exhaust manifold to see if it is worn or not! It's the piece where the j pipe attaches to on the exhaust manifold.

So I took my ski out for the first time since winter. It was cold, water 44, air 52. After I came back, I was playing outside with my daughter and the skis were still in the driveway. Two neighbors stopped by and asked if I was the crazy one on the lake today.

The thru hull, OPAS blocks off, prop, wedge and nose cone are all mods from over the winter. It was weird driving without OPAS. You don't think they make a difference when you start riding with them, but once you take them away you defintely notice it. It defintely is more "tossable".

Now to my RPM's, I was consistenly turning 8100-8140. Usually 8100, with spurts where it held 8120 or 8140. Clicked up to 8160 once. Do you think with warmer summer days of 75-85 (this is michigan) it will bring it down? Or should I look into a nozzle and rings? From what I read you can lose or gain 50rpms with each ring. I was kinda surprised at how high they were. Also had the oil just above the top bend. Took some out when I got back, but that might give me a few more rpms. What did anyone else turn back when you were Stage 1? I want to lean on the safe side, not looking for a high maintenance ski on the limiter.

You are in the sweet spot right now.. So leave
    it alone.
    WHEN it gets hot out, worry then if you are below
    8000 rpms.. Otherwise just have fun.
    Your water doesnt get that warm up there, so
    your rpms may only drop by 50 or so which means
    you are still sitting pretty.

Also, did you gain some speed with the 14/19 ?????

I forgot my GPS so not sure on the speed. Definitely better acceleration. I am anxious to see my speed though. I wanna be a solid 71. After re reading some Jerry mentioned the limiter starts kicking in at 8160 so I should be good. I only saw that once. And when it warms like you mentioned I will lose about 50 putting me at 8100 or a little under. I will just watch myself while it is still so cold and not ride the limiter.

Thread Information