New to Green Hulk. Needs advice on 98 Seadoo GTX Limited

I have the opportunity to buy a 98 Seadoo GTX Limited. Motor is locked up. The tag receipt says its a 130hp motor. The tag on the ski says DO NOT USE TC-W3 2 cycle oil. I found a bottle of TC-W3 in the storage container on the ski. Can someone Please help me.

1 What is the model number of the Rotax engine on this ski.
    2 What does TC-W3 do to this Rotax engine.
    3. Where can I get a reasonable rebuilt engine for this ski.
    4. What would this ski sell for if it was running, considering the body and paint are in above average condition.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pump123$
    I have the opportunity to buy a 98 Seadoo GTX Limited. Motor is locked up. The tag receipt says its a 130hp motor. The tag on the ski says DO NOT USE TC-W3 2 cycle oil. I found a bottle of TC-W3 in the storage container on the ski. Can someone Please help me.

1 What is the model number of the Rotax engine on this ski.
    2 What does TC-W3 do to this Rotax engine.
    3. Where can I get a reasonable rebuilt engine for this ski.
    4. What would this ski sell for if it was running, considering the body and paint are in above average condition.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

That ski has a 951 130hp 2 stroke engine. You are supposed to use a low ash oil, synthetic is recommended. I doubt if using TC-W3 oil had anything to do with the engine locking up. Water injestion is the likely culprit. These engines were famous for that. The gray Tempo fuel lines may also have softened and shed material that might have clogged up the carbs...leaning out the engine and causing it to seize. SBT sells rebuilt engines for this ski, but reports on them are mixed.

The hull used in that ski is probably the best 3 seat hull of any brand ski. It's hard to put a price on the ski without being able to ride it to see how well all the other parts work. I wouldn't go over a grand for it, max.

Richard

Thanks Richard

Thanks for the quick reply. You hit the cost right on the nose. Is it worth fixing? How often does water injestion happen and how? Do you think this ski is worth investing in? I can tell it was run alot in saltwater.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pump123$
    I can tell it was run alot in saltwater.
    NO! you said the magic word "saltwater". Your odds of success goes WAY DOWN. It's not worth the effort unless the hull & parts are flawless.

it's a lot of work getting the bolts out of a saltwater ski. I have an exhaust manifold off of a 99 GTX that refurbished that I had to cut through to the bolts to get off. That ski in top notch hape is worth $3500-4000. Don't do it for re-sale unless you stick a cheapo re-man in it and send it on it's way.

+1
    I picked up a 98 GTX Limited and a double trailer last fall for $2200 cdn. The motor came out of the hull in pieces. I rebuilt it myself along with rebuilding the carbs, replaced fuel lines, new jet pump oil etc. I replaced the stock air box with Proks and rejeted the carbs. I love this thing, its decently fast handles not bad and will pull any towable I hitch on the back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0396.JPG 
Views:	275 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	7422  

+1
    Forgot to mention the others are right if its a salt water unit the problems can really start to multiply. You need to get it pretty cheap to make it worth your time. It's quite often not a simple as dropping in a rebuilt engine.

On this engine the exhaust manifold to pipe gasket was notorious for leaking and dripping water into the carbs. There was an updated gasket kit which included a gasket, fasteners and a rubber diaper that wrapped around the joint to catch the water if it started leaking. This is one of the reasons I went with the Prok flame arresters with outerwears as these are not as prone to water ingestion as the factory air box. The newer models with this engine have an Oring gasket.

Good Luck
    Chris

+1
    Welcome to the Forum

THE OFFICAL SUPERDUTY!!!!!! superduty's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by way2fast
    That ski has a 951 130hp 2 stroke engine. You are supposed to use a low ash oil, synthetic is recommended. I doubt if using TC-W3 oil had anything to do with the engine locking up. Water injestion is the likely culprit. These engines were famous for that. The gray Tempo fuel lines may also have softened and shed material that might have clogged up the carbs...leaning out the engine and causing it to seize. SBT sells rebuilt engines for this ski, but reports on them are mixed.

The hull used in that ski is probably the best 3 seat hull of any brand ski. It's hard to put a price on the ski without being able to ride it to see how well all the other parts work. I wouldn't go over a grand for it, max.

Richard

if you dont wanna go with sbt you can go with this guy www.watercrafttech.com he will rebuild your engine and will be ready to run i dont know how good he is.

Thread Information