Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Taking apart a UMI steering setup?

My umi steering is frozen up. I took the 4 neck bolts out of it, sprayed it down with some lube and got it to were it will spin around in a circle. The bottom bearing is all rusted up. How do you get the thing disassembled? I see there is a square nut on the bottom, do you have to turn that out to get it to come out or is it suppose to slide out once the 4 neck bolts are out?
    Thanks in advance,
    SHOOTER

is this still bolted in the ski?
    ok, put the 4 screws back into the handle bar mount piece, inside the hull disconnect steering cable from steering arm joint, remove the nut on the shaft on the inside of the hull that holds the steering arm in place.
    remove the steering arm, screw the nut back on and tap the shaft/nut with a plastic or shotfilled mallet... try this first... it should pop... if you need more aggressive hit, then make sure you protect the threads and whack with a suitable heavy hammer... it should release and slide out of the top, then you will have access to the bearings...
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 01-19-2010 at 05:22 PM.

+1
    Pale Rider, wish I had waited till you posted this up, but I got it out. I had it out of the ski, the damn thing was sooooo corroded. I know where to get the bearings but what about the other parts? I pulled out what looked like two copper washers? some orings?
    I basically took the 4 neck bolts out, put the bottom on a block of wood with some padding, then commenced to beating the shit out of the base and it finally broke loose. I added wd40 and all. The bearings were a pita. I had to knock the one out of the outside shaft with a screwdriver and hammer. The one up on the neck I had to use a dremmel tool to cut the bearing out.
    SHOOTER

Quote Originally Posted by shooter98xpl View Post
    Pale Rider, wish I had waited till you posted this up, but I got it out. I had it out of the ski, the damn thing was sooooo corroded. I know where to get the bearings but what about the other parts? I pulled out what looked like two copper washers? some orings?
    I basically took the 4 neck bolts out, put the bottom on a block of wood with some padding, then commenced to beating the shit out of the base and it finally broke loose. I added wd40 and all. The bearings were a pita. I had to knock the one out of the outside shaft with a screwdriver and hammer. The one up on the neck I had to use a dremmel tool to cut the bearing out.
    SHOOTER
    I know their website is down, but here is a number you could possibly call for info...
    maybe check the classifieds for a used neck...
    http://umiracing.com/

+1
    I figured it out, the damn things that I thought might have been washers were actually the rubber seal part of the bearing, hahahaha. Thats how fubared this thing was. I found the 2 bearings and oring on ebay for $21.50 shipped. I got it all cleaned up and ready for installation once I get the parts in. I do believe that this thing will have a ton of antiseize and grease on it by the time I am done with it. Thanks for the help.
    SHOOTER

Quote Originally Posted by shooter98xpl View Post
    I figured it out, the damn things that I thought might have been washers were actually the rubber seal part of the bearing, hahahaha. Thats how fubared this thing was. I found the 2 bearings and oring on ebay for $21.50 shipped. I got it all cleaned up and ready for installation once I get the parts in. I do believe that this thing will have a ton of antiseize and grease on it by the time I am done with it. Thanks for the help.
    SHOOTER
    cool!

to bad there isn`t a zerk fitting at least to keep the shaft area smothered in grease, but then too much and you`ll hydraulically pressed the bearings right out!

+1
    hehehe, going to put antiseize all in the shaft area and grease the hell out of the bearings on both sides before installing. Same thing with the bolts. That way if I ever have to do it again it will be simple.
    SHOOTER

Moderated
    the standard bearings from umi are junk, i replaced mine with sealed ones and have not had a problem since.

i just tapped the bad ones out with a hardened pin.

+1
    Good move on the sealed bearings. They make them for the rear axles on some model of atv that perfectly replace them. Slips my mind what the number is.

IDK, the bearings in mine are sealed...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information