Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1

Talking 44mm Carbs and Stinger Install

As some may know, I ordered some parts from Skiworx in August. Well, they arrived yesterday and now the install begins. Thanks to Jonny for answering all my questions before I placed the order.

This is what I have:

44mm Mikuni Carbs and Skiworx Manifold

44mm Carb Kit, includes Spacers with Pulse Fitting, Linkage, bolts, hoses and T-pieces

Finally the Stinger Section modded by Skiworx

I have a couple of questions for the guru's (hopefully Jonny and Morris can jump in too)

1. After unpacking everything I noticed that the pulse fittings are loose. One so loose that there is a 1/4mm gap. I'll need to fix this. What's the best way to seal it up to ensure no air leaks (sikaflex?)

2. Do I need to run Dual Fuel with these 44's? The parts I have suggest not?

3. There are 4 bolts that are shorter than the others, should they be used in a special location?

4. What should I set the LS and HS adjustments before I begin tuning?

5. I've read (on Jonny's post I think) that the TPS doesn't really do anything with AM Carbs. Should I just remove this. If so, does it need to be set to a specific setting for best results.

6. Can anyone share their tips for an easy install (fuel lines etc)

Can't wait to get this all going!

Cheers, Mal.

+1
    There have been several reports of plastic T fittings breaking. This may be one of the effects of ethanol being added to gasoline. Regardless, throw them away and buy BRASS fittings. They won't break.

The plastic fitting for the Stinger is OK.

+1
    Wow. That's not good. Thanks.

+1
    I have actually been using the plastic T's for fuel with no problems but there are some that are cheap and not so good.

Now for your setup.

The 1/4 pulse fittings can be fixed with silicone/gasket sealer/or white pipe tape.

The 4 short bolts look like a mistake as you need 18 of all the same for the intake manifolds.

I dont think you need a dual or triple fuel feed but it seems it would eliminate a problem with fuel starve if tunning became a issue. You can use the fuel on and reserve and split both for the 3rd fuel line and have triple fuel lines ....one for each carb. If you do this extend the fuel on pickup in the tank. Triple pickups are nice.

As far as the high's and lows kind of depends on your jetting. Whats the jetting set at....please dont say

140 main..
    125 pilot
    2.3 N/s with 95 gram spring....

You 'll be so rich wont be funny.

Usually 1.5 turns out for top and bottom.

The TPS ..disconnect at white plug and throw in box or leave with stock carbs.

I would set up with 3 fuel lines and then a return but thats me.
    You also need to find out how your gonna run your carbs. They way you have them in the pic or jetplates up. Which is how I have them but the setup with the throttle wheel does require a little setup and such. Might be difficult for some depending on how comfortable you are.

But the easiest way is how they are in the pic.

To install remove the pipe to make it simple and plenty of room...you dont need to remove the manifold if ya dont want to but ya can if ya want even more room. Just reuse the gaskets should be fine.

Well this should get ya started.

Goodluck

+1
    Great thanks.

I'm not sure of the jetting, I've asked Steve (Skiworx) but I think he is on holidays now. Hopefully he'll come back to me soon though. If it helps, the carbs are new, and are from his "44mm kit"

Mal.

Tripple pickups would make things easy but you would loose your fuel gauge. If you want to do a dual pickup there is a write up in the mods thread. I have always run dual but I have always had 2 external pumps in my setup insead of carb mounted pumps.

The inake bolts should all be the same length. Check your 4 short ones to see if they will get enough bite. Note you will need 9 intake gaskets using reed spacers. If the pulse fittings are loose green locktite would tighten them up. Or you could pull them out and put some red on them.

Im kind of paranoid about plastic fittings. I use all brass including the cooling T.

Are the carbs set up for primer and oil injection? I couldnt see the fittings in your pics to tell. I have pics posted in my project thread on the ultra 150 site of my novi 48 install. They might help you some since they are basicly the same body.

Finding out the jetting is easy. Pull one of the jetplates off and look at the jets. The size will be stamped into the top of the mains and the side of the pilots. The needle and seats are stamped too. Pay attention to what color spring is under the float arm too.

+1
    Thanks. I'll have a look at the jets and spring tomorrow and let you know.

All the carbs have oil injection fittings, and one has a primer fitting also (looks to be tapped into the FA).

I've read somewhere about removing the stock reed stuffers with 44mm carbs. Is this something that should be done, or leave them there?

Thanks.

PS: Morris, I've probably read your project, and Jonny's, 10 times. It's the best source of information for the STX-R/Ultra. THANKS!

+1
    It looks like I've got:

135 High
    130 Low (does 130 should right?)
    95 Gram Spring (looks dull silver to me)

Mal.

+1
    You need to find out what size needle and seat.... Well seat really which is the brass thing that has a little metal U bracket holding it down with one screw. Take that out and grip the brass seat with a needle nose gently and it will come out and on the bottom you will 2.0 or 2.3. Im betting on a 2.3

Your Jetting seems right from what you have said but still will be pretty rich but Steve is only gonna get ya close because if it blows up because of jetting it's his butt.

You will end up pretty low. Just for referance when I ran 44's I was below a 120 and a 120 pilot. If you want my jetting for my 44's let me know and I will dig the card out. But you will be rich and the 2.3 seat will be to soft. You will probably need a 115 gram spring to make the difference or a 2.0 seat.

Lots of people just insist on using a 2.3 in everything when you should start with the lowest you can use. 1.5 2.0 2.3 and so one.

You can get a triple fuel pick up or modifiy the stock one as the fuel pick up and fuel sending unit "fuel gauge" are completely 2 different pieces. Which is nice so you can still use the fuel gauge which I still use mine.

Best way for access to the pickup is to remove the glove box and there it is down there which is held in with four screws.

I prefer triple pickups because it's just the easiest way. But the stock will work.
    The stock pumps on the carbs will also work perfectly fine if you dont want to add the external pumps ...if you go that route it will add to your tunning as well. Something to keep in mind.

Can you do me a favor. Put the reed spacer up against the intake manifold and measure the total length or thickness if ya would.

Ok well get it going... you have nothing else to do right now... Not like it's a busy time of year or anything.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information