Started engine for first time, questions?

2005 RXP, just fired up the new engine for the first time. Fired right up. Let it run for about 5 secs without the hose then shut it down to check the oil. I put in 4.5 quarts before I started it and it is barely at the first line on the dipstick, should I ad more a wait a little to see if the level comes up from sitting? Then I started it and turned on the hose to let it run for about 3 mins. It smoked pretty good for the first minute, I assume it is just from being newly installed. Now when I let it run it is idling at 2500rpm. Then when I rev it a little to see if the revs go down to 1800rpm it sits at 3000rpm? Any ideas what could cause this?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanw80 View Post
    2005 RXP, just fired up the new engine for the first time. Fired right up. Let it run for about 5 secs without the hose then shut it down to check the oil. I put in 4.8 quarts before I started it and it is barely at the first line on the dipstick, should I ad more a wait a little to see if the level comes up from sitting? Then I started it and turned on the hose to let it run for about 3 mins. It smoked pretty good for the first minute, I assume it is just from being newly installed. Now when I let it run it is idling at 2500rpm. Then when I rev it a little to see if the revs go down to 1800rpm it sits at 3000rpm? Any ideas what could cause this?
    Throttle cable to tight or vacuum leak.

After starting and letting it run for 3 minutes several times(waited for engine to cool off in between) it now is idling right at 1800rpm so I think that part is good. Now I am just wondering about the oil level. I put in 4.5 quarts because it was a new dry engine. After waiting 30 seconds after engine is off and checking the oil level it is a little bellow the mid point on the dip stick. Should I add a little more even though my seadoo manual says the oil capacity is 4.1 quarts and I am already at about 4.5 quarts?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanw80 View Post
    After starting and letting it run for 3 minutes several times(waited for engine to cool off in between) it now is idling right at 1800rpm so I think that part is good. Now I am just wondering about the oil level. I put in 4.5 quarts because it was a new dry engine. After waiting 30 seconds after engine is off and checking the oil level it is a little bellow the mid point on the dip stick. Should I add a little more even though my seadoo manual says the oil capacity is 4.1 quarts and I am already at about 4.5 quarts?
    YOu need to get it on the water and let it warm up and then check it.
    Easier to add then take it out.
    If you have 4.5 qts in it i would warm it up in the water and then check it.

You think I should take a quart out now and then in the spring when I am able to water test it just bring oil to add? I don't want to get out on the water and have to much like you said about being easier to add oil.

Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    YOu need to get it on the water and let it warm up and then check it.
    Easier to add then take it out.
    If you have 4.5 qts in it i would warm it up in the water and then check it.

Thread Information