Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1

Temp Gauge Question

I picked up a 2000 XPL and I'm building it up, the beeper does not work aparently it has to do with the mpem, I tried several beepers and nothing.
    Well I'm planning on putting a temp gauge just outside of my block water exit,(installing a T to mount the temp element) the one going towards the pisser, just to monitor the temps in case it over heats, I do have a pisser going in the front right side.

My question is, what are the temperatures of that water coming out of the 951?
    I know on my 787 is not that hot, but I need to get an idea to be able to get a temp gauge that ranges that temperature. or can I just hook it up to the stock temp sensor????

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Just to save you some grief, it is really not worth the time. The engine only overheats when you block the pump inlet, from sucking up debris. Or blowing a hose loose inside. Either way, by keeping an eye on your pisser, this will always confirm you have water flow. There is no thermostat, just an open restricted system. This is why they moved it to the front. Mine is in the rear on my 96.

And when it does overheat, you need hot water to trip the sensor. There won't be any. So it won't trip. The same thing happens on my 800 setups, the sensor in the head never gets hot enough to trip, before the engine starts locking up.

Two strokes, when overheated, try to stop running. If you know your ski, and don't ignore the symptoms, then you will shut it down and inspect for a problem instead of giving it more gas to keep it running, and melting your engine.

So just always watch the pisser and you will be good.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Just to save you some grief, it is really not worth the time. The engine only overheats when you block the pump inlet, from sucking up debris. Or blowing a hose loose inside. Either way, by keeping an eye on your pisser, this will always confirm you have water flow. There is no thermostat, just an open restricted system. This is why they moved it to the front. Mine is in the rear on my 96.

And when it does overheat, you need hot water to trip the sensor. There won't be any. So it won't trip. The same thing happens on my 800 setups, the sensor in the head never gets hot enough to trip, before the engine starts locking up.

Two strokes, when overheated, try to stop running. If you know your ski, and don't ignore the symptoms, then you will shut it down and inspect for a problem instead of giving it more gas to keep it running, and melting your engine.

So just always watch the pisser and you will be good.
    +1

The heat sensor is only really good for going bad and buzzing when the engine is not over temp.

I have never had one overheat. For the most part, if you take care of what may be going into your pump (I have had the pump get clogged with weeds-Thanks Shooter -but it was rather obvious when it happened so overheating was not a risk) and make sure and walk it out to at least mid thigh to waist deep (depending on how tall you are) off the bank before start up and you will be fine.

It is the starting right on the bank (and on the reverse equiped boats, those who try to back off the bank) that gets you a clogged cooling system. It is possible to run over something in open (sometimes ish, if you ride like I do) water, but not too likely. I have had a strainer on my water inlet for almost three years now and it has NEVER had anything in it.

+1
    [QUOTE=ultramaxracing05;1292864]
    My question is, what are the temperatures of that water coming out of the 951?
    QUOTE]

From memory when we checked them back in 99 at the exhaust manifold, water temps where between 190 -200 f at wot. even at idle and midrange the temps didnt fluctuate alot.
    But if you have a pisser as stated above you know that water is cooling your engine.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    I think I will save the hassle of installing a gauge and stick with the pisser

Thread Information