Where's the Radiator?????

With this closed loop cooling system I was wondering how the water for the engine was cooled and I got a lesson on that yesterday. It seems the RIDEPLATE in effect IS the radiator/cooler. If you look at the side of the rideplate that is normally on the hull side you can see the IN and OUT holes for the hoses. This brings to mind that if you crack your rideplate on a rock or something you potentially will lose all your coolent for the engine. I also wonder whether anyone has run an external cooler for the ENGINE coolent. Probably not necessary in majority of cases BUT if you are in 90-95 degree water it could help it would seem.

Ahh....where am I?
    +1
    The Rideplate is the readiator. Yep, if you crack your ride plate, you'll loose the green stuff! both in the cooling system and your pocket!

Quote Originally Posted by sr71bb
    With this closed loop cooling system I was wondering how the water for the engine was cooled and I got a lesson on that yesterday. It seems the RIDEPLATE in effect IS the radiator/cooler. If you look at the side of the rideplate that is normally on the hull side you can see the IN and OUT holes for the hoses. This brings to mind that if you crack your rideplate on a rock or something you potentially will lose all your coolent for the engine. I also wonder whether anyone has run an external cooler for the ENGINE coolent. Probably not necessary in majority of cases BUT if you are in 90-95 degree water it could help it would seem.

I don't think you would need to worry about enough cooling unless you were running in 150 degree plus water.

sr71bb: alot of us are running the Rotax therm which is 158 degrees and Hoss is not using a therm at all, it depends on your climate and location...

installing power adders, you would want to reduce the temps to help prevent detonation in some circumstances...a set of colder spark plugs with mods also helps disipate heat from the combustion chamber...PR...

Thread Information