Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

benefit of waterbox?

So after the gains I saw with the gutted waterbox I am wondering why not just go straight pipe? What are the disadvantages other then noise? Anyone with experience of running no waterbox please chime in. I know the only setups without a waterbox that I have seen are turbo.

+1

Talking

The waterbox was originally called a water lock box on pwc it served two purposes. One was to keep the water from entering the exhaust system when the pwc was turned over upside down in the water and the pwc had to be turned back over in the correct direction only to prevent the water from flowing back into the cylinders. The second was to keep the noise down and provied the correct exhaust back pressure on two cycle engines. Now on the 4 cycle pwc it just for one way water flow and noise supression since 4 cycle engines are less sensitive to exhaust back pressure. Tommy Jordan

+1
    hey!!! why not just put one of these in place of it!! its straight through and would reduce a lil noise but has absolutely NO restrictions.LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sum-630810.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	164533  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    The waterbox was originally called a water lock box on pwc it served two purposes. One was to keep the water from entering the exhaust system when the pwc was turned over upside down in the water and the pwc had to be turned back over in the correct direction only to prevent the water from flowing back into the cylinders. The second was to keep the noise down and provied the correct exhaust back pressure on two cycle engines. Now on the 4 cycle pwc it just for one way water flow and noise supression since 4 cycle engines are less sensitive to exhaust back pressure. Tommy Jordan
    Would it be a bad idea to go straight pipe on my fzr for the purpose of water back flow?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH. View Post
    Would it be a bad idea to go straight pipe on my fzr for the purpose of water back flow?
    It 's not as critical as it once was since these pwc's are a lot larger now and you don't see many of them get up side down. But if you were to ever get your pwc upside down you could get water in the motor through the exhaust system w/o a water box. I guess you will have to make that desision your self if you want to gamble on it or not. IMO the small performance gain if any is not worth it to me.

were`nt some of the SD systems offered here just a water injected SS muff?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    IMO the small performance gain if any is not worth it to me.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH. View Post
    Some people I know that tested the straight pipe exhaust on the SHO/FZ down here say they gained on acceleration but actually had less top speed.

+1
    I have not seen a big 4 stroke upside down since the summer of 2007. I have never turned my PWC's over and I ride like I stole it. I think everyone should turn there boat over at least once so they can learn the proper technique to get it back over.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Thomas View Post
    I have not seen a big 4 stroke upside down since the summer of 2007. I have never turned my PWC's over and I ride like I stole it. I think everyone should turn there boat over at least once so they can learn the proper technique to get it back over.

I havent flipped over a ski since I flipped my 96 xp and they just flip back over on their own.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information