Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Watercraft Newb

Watercraft Newb

Hey how's it going everyone. I live down here in south FL and am new to the PWC crowd. I bought a 95 polaris 650 SL a few months back and now I found out the other day the engine is blown. So being its all apart I'm doing alot of research on engine swaps, changing heads out, pipes, etc... But I can really find out to much info or even some places that sell performance parts. I would say I'm looking to spend about $1,000 - $1400. Now this would just be in parts as I do mechanic work for a living. Any input from you guys would be great!!!

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

There is lots of info in the projects section.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104

FAQ section.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=101

Also a must browse>> http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

There are several other SL650 projects currently underway by other members.

Some are in the Polaris Projects forum;

1993 SL650 Engine Rebuild - Could use help in here

94' SL650 project

Canadian SL Project

Lots of good info in the Polaris General Discussion Area

Click my signature below for a good starting point

The general consensus is that the SL650 is not a good engine for a performance project. Polaris used several versions of the Fuji engine, and the 750cc motor is a common upgrade from the 650. Primary differences are the cylinders and pistons.

A little more work (not that much) gets you into the 780cc engine. That is the upper end for straightforward Fuji engine upgrades. You can go bigger, but it becomes a lot more work, and expense.

The usual advise is to either part out or fix up your current machine, in near stock form.

If you really want more power and speed, sell it and use the money towards a bigger/newer model. Polaris built some very strong PWC, and the knowledge you gain from working on the 650 will carry forward with the newer models.

PWC Resources

Polaris PWC related information
    Model history, purchase guide, manufacturer links, batteries, spark plugs

Polaris PWC model details 1992-2004
    Excel spreadsheet - click tabs across bottom to see each model page

Polaris PWC models, 2000-2004
    Pictures of each model
    (PDF format)

+1
    You came to the right place .welcome! and just ask!.

Well I wouldn't really wanna sell it and buy another one because I could wind up in the same spot I am now. And would not get a decent amount back from parting it out. When I bought this I was told the engine was rebuilt.... Looked clean and nothing looked old like gaskets, grease, etc. Well it just stopped running after 4 times of riding. They used a piston that is .010 over en stuffed it in a stock bore. The rings are literally part of the piston now. And the lower end seized up. Besides I love projects.... I normally build mustangs, this is just my 1st ski.... Is going 50 mph with a 650 realistic with the money I am looking to spend??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MustangDan
    I'm looking to spend about $1,000 - $1400
    Quote Originally Posted by MustangDan View Post
    Well I wouldn't really wanna sell it and buy another one because I could wind up in the same spot I am now. And would not get a decent amount back from parting it out...

... Is going 50 mph with a 650 realistic with the money I am looking to spend??
    For that amount of money, you can probably buy an already running condition, much faster model.

The difference between when you first got your SL650 and now, is that now you know about the Polaris forum on Greenhulk.
    That makes a huge difference

Since the crank shaft in the 650 needs to be rebuilt, the cost to get that engine running again is significant, even in stock form. To upgrade the engine during the rebuild just adds to the cost.

Have a look at some recent threads on the general forum, and the project forum. Folks are buying entire PWC (and much better models) for what you are suggesting spending on your SL650.

50mph is not possible with an SL650, unless it has major upgrade work.

I am not recommending them, but SBT can provide an entire rebuilt 650 engine for $600. If you did the rebuild yourself, the cost in parts and crank rebuild would be similar or more.

I have been looking on craigslist to see how much there going for.... and the lowest higher models go for is around $2500

What about putting a 750 in it?

Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar
    The most expensive part is the crankshaft. Everything else can be found used from members here if you look hard enough and ask. A straight 650 rebuild won't be hard because many of us have good parts sitting around from our projects. You should be able to get it running in stock form within budget, but as has been stated, there are many good running ski's that have been bought recently for less money. Its your choice. I am fixing mine up because they are hard to find where I am and they still seem to sell for insane $$ when you do find one.

And no offense but the only way I would have found out that engine was built wrong was to take off the heads and jugs. No one is going to do that on the ski your about to buy. I could tell someone went through the engine just by how wires were routed, silicone marks. Remember I do this for a living....It was an internal problem.... Other wise the ski ran great and never had a problem...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MustangDan View Post
    I have been looking on craigslist to see how much there going for.... and the lowest higher models go for is around $2500...
    Asking prices and selling prices are often quite different.

GH member Keyzbum and others seem to keep tabs on the Polaris used market, and from time to time they will post a pointer to a 'deal'.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information