Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

What to do with stock valves?

In May I had a valve failure on my '04 RXP, resulting in an engine exchange. 2,400 later everything is working fine. The break occured when a friend of mine was doing wide open throttle donuts, probably bouncing off the rev limited (anyone who rides now is told this is an absolute no no).

Here's my original post ref. the damaged engine for those of you who are interested: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/newt...=newthread&f=8

I'm in the UK and won't be using the ski until around April time so I want to take some reasonable steps to try and prevent this happening again. I've taken the air intake off so I can get the intercooler properly pressure checked. I've also taped up the intake port (after heavily coating the internals with storage oil). But should I be looking to do something with the valves, am I right in thinking that I should at least change the valve reatiners? I see some people have said to change the valves to Ferrara ones but $500 seems a lot for an '04 ski (but maybe I'm being too tight).

The ski does have a few upgrades, like the Riva intake kit, thru hull exhaust, blow off valve.

I'd really appreciate some guidance.

Cheers... Adrian

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ubernoob View Post
    In May I had a valve failure on my '04 RXP, resulting in an engine exchange. 2,400 later everything is working fine. The break occured when a friend of mine was doing wide open throttle donuts, probably bouncing off the rev limited (anyone who rides now is told this is an absolute no no).

Here's my original post ref. the damaged engine for those of you who are interested: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/newt...=newthread&f=8

I'm in the UK and won't be using the ski until around April time so I want to take some reasonable steps to try and prevent this happening again. I've taken the air intake off so I can get the intercooler properly pressure checked. I've also taped up the intake port (after heavily coating the internals with storage oil). But should I be looking to do something with the valves, am I right in thinking that I should at least change the valve reatiners? I see some people have said to change the valves to Ferrara ones but $500 seems a lot for an '04 ski (but maybe I'm being too tight).

The ski does have a few upgrades, like the Riva intake kit, thru hull exhaust, blow off valve.

I'd really appreciate some guidance.

Cheers... Adrian
    Hi mate Im in Herne Bay, Did JetWorks do the work for you???

Can you give us some more info??

If the valves were all replaced then they will have been replaced with the later spec Valves which are better.

If you have Fogged the engine then you have no worries really When I fogged mine last I took the plugs out and the fuel injection rail + injectors out and sprayed shit loads of the storage oil down in there then re-fitt the plugs but leave the coils off pull the throttle wide open and crank over using start button. By holding throttle wide open it stops engine from starting.

You only need the retainers if you are running high rpm. Changing these will do nothing to improve your reliability unless you are running higher rpm.

The 04 valves are prone to breaking if they have gotten corroded due to poor maintence or if you run too lean ect ect. Hope that helps mate and maybe see you on the high seas some time where you ski from??? R88

+1
    I'm in Broadstairs, Kent. Jet Works didnt do the work, I did speak to Martin there but he was pretty busy at the time so I decided to take the engine out and do it myself. It was an exchange engine from Jet Shed in Sheffield, original '04 components so still stock parts (hence my worry). I ski from Jet Ski World, Palm Bay.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ubernoob View Post
    I'm in Broadstairs, Kent. Jet Works didnt do the work, I did speak to Martin there but he was pretty busy at the time so I decided to take the engine out and do it myself. It was an exchange engine from Jet Shed in Sheffield, original '04 components so still stock parts (hence my worry). I ski from Jet Ski World, Palm Bay.
    Yeh Martin is busy most of the time.

Well to be honest I have seen 06 engine drop there valves in fact martin had 2 in the other week with dropped valves so unless you want to fully re-build the head with all new valves dont worry about it. You have done the right thing in fogging the engine as the most common cause is corrosion to the valve stems causing the valves to stick and get hit by the piston.

How many hours did the engine have onit that you brought?? Alan at jet shed is real good guy and knows his stuff so I dont think he would havee sold you any old crap he had lying around if you get me.

I have never been down the Jetskiworld as yet but then its hard to find a reasn to pay to launch when it is free at herne bay other than your parking although you do tend to get a few numbties around at times. LOL R88

+1
    Yeah agree about Jet Shed, Alan seems a really good guy who knows his stuff. The engine had 14 hours on it. I installed the replacement engine around July time so have done about 20 hours I guess, so far no problems.

ROTAX RACING performance
    +1
    take the valve cover off, and check the number on top of the valves, so you can verify if you get 06-2010 spec valves, or the old valves

only the exhaust valves are the issue

Quote Originally Posted by mrracing View Post
    take the valve cover off, and check the number on top of the valves, so you can verify if you get 06-2010 spec valves, or the old valves

only the exhaust valves are the issue
    if iinstead of 06-2010 said 72523t.

+1
    I have what I belive to be a 06 valve in my hand it has 72524TK writen just above the rings where the retaining collets sit.

I doubt that the valves in this engine have been changed but so long as ther is not any corrosion on the stems you shouldnt have any issues. R88

Quote Originally Posted by R88ory RXP View Post
    I have what I belive to be a 06 valve in my hand it has 72524TK writen just above the rings where the retaining collets sit.

I doubt that the valves in this engine have been changed but so long as ther is not any corrosion on the stems you shouldnt have any issues. R88
    04-05 and some early 06 production are 72524TK( junk)
    75219T1K are the late 06, 06 -10 are the prefered good valves.

Hi there!

I have been lurking here since I bought a 2005 sea doo gtx 155 wake in September, I hope you don't mind me posting on your thread but I think I'm in the same position with the valves. I have just fogged mine last weekend but have no idea how it was loooked after before I got it.

Just looked on Jetworks website and the exhaust valves are 70 each! However this still works out cheaper than a new engine.

Are the 2005 155hp engines effected the same?

Thanks,

Lee

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information