+1

Binding Impeller????

Hey yall . Recently I replaced the impeller in my 07 15f with a solas 14/21. Checked it on the bench before reinstallingit into the ski, everything seems great and wonderful. Torgued everything to specs by the way and put it a together . After getting everything back together I checked to see how it felt.
    It now feels like its binding up in places ... like at 9 and 3o'clock.. Any ideas as to what might be the problem ??? i have taken it back down and reinspected verything it all looks good, Imstumped!!!!!!!!!!
    Almost wondering if its the casting on the impeller??? ...and Ideas would be great.. thanks

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    check the bearings and seals real well, I had some trouble with a 900 pump that got dropped when i shipped it and it bound when pete got it...

Sean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    check the bearings and seals real well, I had some trouble with a 900 pump that got dropped when i shipped it and it bound when pete got it...

Sean
    Smokey .. thanks bud ... i was considering that, the ski has about 45 hours on it ... maybe the whatever it was that jackd up the impeller may have don't something with the bearings?? thanks again ... I'll go check that out ...

+1
    any marks or anything on the other prop or on the housing itself??

sometimes on older yami pumps the ring/liner will swell and the prop will "self clearance" as the motor runs (basically wearing the prop down). Throw in a new prop and it doesn't fit...

Do you have another housing to try with the new prop?

Just throwing another idea out there...

+1
    I have another housing that did that lol popped the stainless liner out of the 15f pump... the bearings could have been damaged by sucking something up or something hitting the prop, its not hard to do...

Sean

+1
    I have another housing that did that lol popped the stainless liner out of the 15f pump... the bearings could have been damaged by sucking something up or something hitting the prop, its not hard to do...

Sean
    I did find a ding on the impeller and yep the housing is messed up .. Got a friend of mine at the kawasaki shop to get me a new housing. It should be here in a couple weeks
    What happened was , back in the summer I was running on th Tn River and sucked up a small stick about as long and big around as your little finger and it wedged between the impeller and the housing. Never would have suspected a stick could jack something like that up as bad as it did.
    Once we get it all down you could see wherethe bearing took a hit but you could barely feel a imperfection on the housing.
    I would have thought they would make the housing a tad stronger to keep that from happening.

Thanks guys ... I probably would still be pulling what hair i have left out trying to figure that one out lol

+1
    I would have just ordered the bearings and sanded the housing out, but that works too as long as you replace the bearings

Sean

+1
    I would have just ordered the bearings and sanded the housing out, but that works too as long as you replace the bearings

Sean
    I considered sanding the housing but after taking it to a firend of mine who owns a machine shop , He said that to fix that housing would have taken to much material out , thus making it weak?? I just bit the bullet and got a new housing, liner, bearings.
    The impeller did take a pretty good hit, not only did it put a good sized notch in it but after magna fluxing it found a crack in the impeller about 1.5 inches long.
    Totally blows me away that something so small could do the damage it did. We are talking about a 2.5 inch long piece of drift wood thats maybe 3/8 in dia.
    One thing for sure .. I will be keeping an eye out for that small stuff floating in the water from now on lol. Thanks for all the help Smokey and Drew. I would go test it out but its still a bit to chilly. When i put it all back together and checked it out ... its smooth as it can be.
    Thanks again guys!!!!!!!!!!!!! Curt

+1
    if you still have the old housing i would take it off your hands for you, a buddy of mine wants it for his 900 project

Sean

+1
    if you still have the old housing i would take it off your hands for you, a buddy of mine wants it for his 900 project

Sean
    ... Yeah i think so... I left it over at the machine shop that a friend of mine owns. I'm going to call him and tell him not to chunk it. I'm really not sure if its useable ... when he measured it , it had a .08mm ding iin it. If you think you can use it .. your welcome to it. I just wasn't comfortable using it and it didn't look like there was going to be enough material around the area to hold the bearing properly.
    Its still hard for me to comprehend that a little stick could do that. PM me and send me the info and i'll send it to you. I did find out a moment ago that i have to come down to Houston, I'll throw it in the truck and call you when i get there .. I'll be leaving the Memphis area wednesday am

Thread Information