Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Simple mod to lower RXPX Steering

This is a very simple mod you can do to lower the teering stem on an RXPX. The stem comes out in 5 minutes, and you can carefully cut it down and weld it back together. I also gundrilled it to save some weight, and this also allowed a dowel to be inserted to hold it perfect while welding.

I like it becasue it keeps the look of the X steering, but drops the height about 2 inches.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0661.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	349.7 KB 
ID:	164835   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0663.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	401.1 KB 
ID:	164836   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0662.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	398.1 KB 
ID:	164837  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis914 View Post
    This is a very simple mod you can do to lower the teering stem on an RXPX. The stem comes out in 5 minutes, and you can carefully cut it down and weld it back together. I also gundrilled it to save some weight, and this also allowed a dowel to be inserted to hold it perfect while welding.

I like it becasue it keeps the look of the X steering, but drops the height about 2 inches.
    Nice Louis. This is what James Bushell does to his but he also runs the lowered block as well. Did you see how low his UMI on the open ski was???

He machines them as well its soo low compared to stock even makes normal UMI look high lol.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Sweet ... I'm surprised to not see threads about this sooner I also feel that there way to high for me... personally. I'm in the process of modding mine, but went after it a little differently. Here's a pic prior to weld and paint.

Name:	DSCF3123.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	164855  

+1
    If we need more, I will cut and lower the X clamp. I really wanted to keep the look of the standard parts, that is why I have stayed away from the block style clamp.

I looked at doing this, but its towards the bottom of a long list of mods to try I'm with 100% on the block style clamp, the OEM X clamp is SOO much better looking!

Quote Originally Posted by Louis914 View Post
    If we need more, I will cut and lower the X clamp. I really wanted to keep the look of the standard parts, that is why I have stayed away from the block style clamp.

pics from my X steering

hello guys,here is a pics from my x steering clamp.

www.nicoruss-racing.de

Name:	hull,black x steering 013.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	165.4 KB 
ID:	165454   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hull,black x steering 011.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	165455   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hull,black x steering 008.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	165456  

+1
    ok guys not to be a jerk, but how tall are you guys?? why are you lowering the bars so much?
    it seems to me that when racing, aggressive riding, you are standing or crouching alot, and taller bars would be better...
    can you explain the reason why you are going shorter?
    i know every rider is different stance, and height, so one mans perfect height will be different from anothers, but until the X came along bars were always too short... now they are too tall??
    does shortening the bar height allow for more forward placement, is that better balance for the handling of the ski??
    just curious...

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    hello guys,here is a pics from my x steering clamp.
    Nice I'm very surprised that BRP doesn't offer the X steering clamps in several heights for different applications-preferences

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lextoy View Post
    ok guys not to be a jerk, but how tall are you guys?? why are you lowering the bars so much?
    it seems to me that when racing, aggressive riding, you are standing or crouching alot, and taller bars would be better...
    can you explain the reason why you are going shorter?
    i know every rider is different stance, and height, so one mans perfect height will be different from anothers, but until the X came along bars were always too short... now they are too tall??
    does shortening the bar height allow for more forward placement, is that better balance for the handling of the ski??
    just curious...
    This is a bit of a CC racing mod.

It is better to have your wieght forward over the bars for handeling and control.

When the bars are up high its more difficult to get the leaverage required to control your wieght on the ski when cornering hard.

Also in CC you are looking for hookup and getting thru the chop well so having a more forward stance on the ski helps to keep the nose planted and stop the ski jumping out the water so much.

The UMI is lower than the stock steering and totaly diff angle much like the X steering setup but if you look at most CC racers steering it will either be UMI or X setup lowered in one of the above ways.

I have seen a few skis with there UMI mechined down to make it even lower it just gives a much better aggresive stance for racing. Not really neccersary for the average rider that wants to cruise around and pop a few donuts. R88

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddyRXP View Post
    Nice I'm very surprised that BRP doesn't offer the X steering clamps in several heights for different applications-preferences
    Nice Idea but I think for 90% of customers the setup they have now is prob good enough. Its only people who wana tear up bouys or racxe that lower the steering and considering that the steering is allowed to be changed in all racing classes ther is no racing advantage to be had by changing the design to accomadate the needs of a racer.

I know that the race market is not all that huge, but there is still qudos for being the top manufacturer at the races. R88

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information