Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1200 SLX, should I be worried part 2

Well I guess with everyone here, I better start asking some opinions on what I should do with this ski of mine.
    I don't want to post a link to PWCtoday, so I'll give a quick run down.

My Mag piston started to deto, and was wearing a hole in the top of it.
    The center and pto look fine. They have good piston wash.
    Now the carbs are Txpro1200's sleeper's. Bored to a true 40mm and Doug jetted them for me.
    Last year I had no problems. I did a compression test in the beginning of the year and it showed 150psi in all cylinders.
    Last month(yep its been 5 weeks of no riding) I did a compression test and it showed the mag cylinder down to 135 psi. So right away I took it apart and the piston looked bad. So thanks to Doug he hooked me up with a piston and some new jet's.
    The things I changed from last year was.

Sirhc's Tau Ceti F/A's.
    Sirhc's nozzle kit.
    V-force 2 reeds, changed them from the Boyesen's I had.
    Hotseat water box.

Now Sirhc, CrazyA, Randy and Al gave me some good advice on re-tuning. But I don't have 110 octane fuel around here.
    All I have is 94 sunoco and I could probably put a crap load of 110 octane additive(octane boost). Now I am not sure if that's the way to go or what?

Thinking of doing Sirhc's cooling mod,but I have no idea were to get some parts?
    I have the 90's and hose, but where do I get the threw hull's?
    Also do you think I would be in the clear if I up the highs on the mag cylinder? or do I need to do the mid also?

Thanks

Tino

+1
    Where are you located? Zip code, city and state. I will see if I can find some 110 race gas for you. An octane additive will not get you up where you need, if you need 110 octane.

Legend in my own mind Sirhc7897's Avatar
    I get my thru hulls from Randy...

Between the reeds and Tau Ceti's you most certainly leaned your ski out more. And based off the results you were having it would seem they leaned it past the point of being safe on the jetting you had when you added them...

I would up your mains as I suspect your lean throughout (and especially in the midrange where upping your high speed circuit won't help but upping your mains will help everywhere...)

Also the cooling mod will help that front cylinder run cooler and if you do the flywheel cooling mod also that will pull even more heat away from it...

You don't have to have 110 octane but it will go a long way in making sure your safe while you dial in your jetting...i actually think you were lean before you added the Tau Ceti's and reeds but adding them was enough to push you lean to the point where you actually burned it down...It's just a safety precaution...

800amsoil

I live in Canada.
    Windsor Ontario.

That's still 4 hours away, but thanks crazy

Legend in my own mind Sirhc7897's Avatar
    You can order some and they'll deliver it (or at least you can down here)?

Guys
    what kind of bearing are in the polaris pistons?
    I mean are they those needles? like the seadoo's have?

Thanks

+1
    Needle bearings for sure.
    Also remember when you're tuning for that high speed and you get it ALL dialed, you still don't want to visit the dreaded 3/4 range for real long unless you have the octane to be there. It's one of the reasons to have a good light or boro-scope, so you can get down and see the piston and KNOW it's not detonating.
    3/4 throttle is where you have LOTS of timing advance and HUGE engine load. The engine needs the octane at this point more so than at WOT.

Good Luck, keep us posted!!
    Last edited by ph2ocraft; 09-04-2006 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft
    Needle bearings for sure.
    Also remember when you're tuning for that high speed and you get it ALL dialed, you still don't want to visit the dreaded 3/4 range for real long unless you have the octane to be there. It's one of the reasons to have a good light or boro-scope, so you can get down and see the piston and KNOW it's not detonating.
    3/4 throttle is where you have LOTS of timing advance and HUGE engine load. The engine needs the octane at this point more so than at WOT.

Good Luck, keep us posted!!
    So when I remove the old piston, I am going to have those needles everywhere....
    Bringing up the mids, would that be a good idea?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information