Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

MSX 150 oil issue

Been lurking around the forum for a few days. I've got oil coming out of a small hole on the oil seperator. I've attached a photo of where the oil is coming from for reference. Any guidance willl be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6091.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	164986  

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

The Weber engine experts don't pop in every day, so you will have to be patient.

In the meantime, have you seen these web pages?
    Click around, lots of info in there

+1
    Welcome 2002X

This probably is no big deal. Have you the correct amount of oil in the engine and not overfull (check the numerous posts of over filling with oil -wrong dipstick marks).

This device is an oil/air seperator cyclone. The idea is to capture any oil in the air flow as the engine breathes and feed it back to the sump. Inbuilt into the bottom of the cyclone is a one way check valve to allow oil to return through a hose to the sump (check that the return hose is not blocked)
    I read in another post that this hole is not even needed and is not on some newer model syclone's although I have never seen one.
    On mine I attached a small peice of hose in a loop to stop any accidental water entry (splashing or sinking)

It is easy to remove for inspection, one torx self taper and three hoses.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Kosh; 12-22-2009 at 01:18 AM. Reason: typo

+1
    as mentioned make sure you have the correct amount of oil in the unit and that you are checking the oil the correct way(you are running it for 30 seconds prior to checking level)............if all is good here then you might have a engine that is going south.......

do a compression and leak down test. what happens is that the crankcase is getting pressurized and it is pushing the oil out of that hole(the turbo really pressurizes the crankcase when the rings/plating are bad)

let us know what you find

MSX 150 oil issue

I also am having the same problem. I just bought a 150 turbo.... 80 hours on it... pretty much the gentleman who sold it to me stated he was having an oil issue and wasn't sure what it was... after examing the machine myself... I also found a geyser of oil that shot out of this same hole when starting the ski up. I also located a clear hose that runs to the front of the motor... and was disconnected.... does this hose go on the bottom of the oil/air seperator nipple and how does it stay connected. Does the hole that you have in the picture above stay open or does their need to be something to block the hole and the oil from spewing out.(Some sort of screw or something). Also about how many hours is needed on this machine for an oil/filter change.. Thanks for the help... I am new at this and need some guidance
    Gary Davis

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gdavis View Post
    I also am having the same problem. I just bought a 150 turbo.... 80 hours on it... pretty much the gentleman who sold it to me stated he was having an oil issue and wasn't sure what it was... after examing the machine myself... I also found a geyser of oil that shot out of this same hole when starting the ski up. I also located a clear hose that runs to the front of the motor... and was disconnected.... does this hose go on the bottom of the oil/air seperator nipple and how does it stay connected. Does the hole that you have in the picture above stay open or does their need to be something to block the hole and the oil from spewing out.(Some sort of screw or something). Also about how many hours is needed on this machine for an oil/filter change.. Thanks for the help... I am new at this and need some guidance
    Gary Davis
    The hole on the cycle is not needed, you can cap it off of close it shut. Polaris says to change the oil every 25 hours (use Mobil 1 synthetic 15w-50 ). Be careful though, adding too much oil can cause many problems and the dipstick instructions from polaris are wrong. You have to make sure the oil is on the very bottom of the dip stick and between the "fill" line. You check the oil after running the engine for 30 seconds. DO NOT add more than 3 quarts ....you WILL overfill it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002X View Post
    Been lurking around the forum for a few days. I've got oil coming out of a small hole on the oil seperator. I've attached a photo of where the oil is coming from for reference. Any guidance willl be appreciated.
    I bet your oil is overvilled causing the problem. Check the oil level and if it's fine, you can cap off the cyclone hole. A compression check is always a good idea.

If you remove the cyclone, you might as well remove and test the oil tank; they are known to fail and cause milky/watery oil. The baffles inside them also fail, causing oil to get into your intake tract.

msx 150 oil issue

two questions: How do I plug the hole? can I use a screw that is what a marine mechanic was trying to put in their? and also this has me wondering about the other end of the hose..it is a clear hose that runs up the side of the hull to the front of the ski and I can't tell where it goes? thanks for the info... just not sure what to plug it with

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gdavis View Post
    two questions: How do I plug the hole? can I use a screw that is what a marine mechanic was trying to put in their? and also this has me wondering about the other end of the hose..it is a clear hose that runs up the side of the hull to the front of the ski and I can't tell where it goes? thanks for the info... just not sure what to plug it with
    You should be able to plug the cyclone hole with a screw or bolt, as the newer cyclones don't have that hole there. However, you should check your oil level because this is most likely causing your cyclone to spew oil. The oil needs to be between the very bottom of the dipstick and the "add" mark (after starting engine for 30 seconds).

Also, I am not quite sure on the clear hose you are speaking of. Can you post a picture of the hose in question?

+1
    Hi,

You need to extract the oil and refill it with the correct amount. The dipstick is wrong.

The clear plastic line is a battery breather and used if your MSX is fitted with a lead acid battery, if you have a maintenance free one this now redundant

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information